Simple change helped making the measurements more accurate

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I love our country and this forum. Lots of very smart folks here and lots of opinions and as our freedoms of Americans we are entitled too.
God Bless America and Happy 4th of July.

Reactions: 1 user

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
To the original post.

There is absolutely no benefit in accuracy between the expression "4 and 6 lines" and the expression "4 an 3/8ths" if the tape measures are laid out in 1/16" inch divisions.

Descriptors do NOT contribute to accuracy. They are only a way to convey meaning.

"122 and 3/8th STRONG" tells me all I need to know as long as we compared our two tapes prior to the conversation.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
To the original post.

There is absolutely no benefit in accuracy between the expression "4 and 6 lines" and the expression "4 an 3/8ths" if the tape measures are laid out in 1/16" inch divisions.

Descriptors do NOT contribute to accuracy. They are only a way to convey meaning.

"122 and 3/8th STRONG" tells me all I need to know as long as we compared our two tapes prior to the conversation.
You hit the nail on the head, there is no difference IF, they are using a tape measure that uses 1/16th divisions. Yet, were they? Was there tape setup to 32nd? I hope it was standard and not metric.

Also as you pointed out there are terms'3/8 strong' that has meaning to those that use tape measures. There is a lot of skills that slowly fading away. Until I got involved in the construction industry, I didn't truly appreciate the craftsmanship that the various trades have.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so '3/8' STRONG is really 4 7/16" ??

BTW be very,very careful using 'electronic ' tape measures. They might not be perfectly calibrated at FULL distance. Might be 100' +-.5% which is 6 inches error

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
so '3/8' STRONG is really 4 7/16" ??

BTW be very,very careful using 'electronic ' tape measures. They might not be perfectly calibrated at FULL distance. Might be 100' +-.5% which is 6 inches error

Not to me, "Strong" gives useful meaning to line width and the space between.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You hit the nail on the head, there is no difference IF, they are using a tape measure that uses 1/16th divisions. Yet, were they? Was there tape setup to 32nd? I hope it was standard and not metric.
My neighbor volunteered to "help" me cut some lumber to various sizes. (he had a new saw he wanted to try out)
He needed a tape measure, so I told him to grab one off the black Craftsman rollaway at the back of the garage.
He proceeded to cut 4 or 5 pieces, and I found the first one was the wrong length.
Eventually we figured out that instead of getting a tape where I told him to, he grabbed one off a high shelf on the opposite side of the garage.
It was my engineers tape. (1/10" graduations)
No harm done, all the pieces he cut were recut to shorter pieces for the project.
I guess the bad part is that he
A) didn't follow instructions
B) didn't notice the "Engineers Tape" label or 1/10 graduations.
He is a retired nuclear plant inspector. o_O

Reactions: 1 users

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
We just once had an engineering manager at work ask someone “Which line on a tape measure is a thousandth?”.

A new guy at work told me on Thursday that he met a guy once that said “A thousandth is so small there must be a million of them in an inch.” No dummy, there’s exactly 1000.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users