Side Shift or Straight Tiller?

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I've searched here and couldn't find opinions one way or the other. The tractor is an L4740 and I know I can go 6' but which? Side Shifts seem harder to find so where to go? I assume shipping will be involved. There was a 6' Caroni for sale here in 2014 but I wanted to wait until 2015 for taxes.

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
I may have a stupid question or point. It seems like most of the tillers I have can be shifted a little bit to one side or the other. How far out do you need to go? The landpride manual for one of mine says it can be shifted 5 inches by moving the lowere arm brackets. It seems like with that and swinging the 3 point to one side you could get it a foot off of one side. You may be able to get away with a 7 footer also?

Are there others that extend farther out than that to the side?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't have the tiller yet so, no. The way my fencing is it would be nice though. With the soil here I could get away with a 7'er too. I don' t see many of those around here..
Why are you wanting to till along the fence. I assume you're planting food plots, garden or something like that. Not trying to get in your business, just curious.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was wondering the same thing, I/we can get as close to the fence line as need be with the old straight tiller if your careful you can run up almost even with the posts

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
The tiller will be used for a large garden first. Tearing out and replanting pasture later. The reason I want the garden by the fence is the horses. Granted they would love it but I'm not planting it for them. I can tie into the hot fence and they do know what hot tape looks like. I'm pretty sure they can sense it before they get zapped.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Makes sense, now I understand more about what you're wanting to do. I have a standard Bushhog tiller which can be adjusted by moving the lower links but I have never had the need. Mine already is off set to the right side. It just cuts out my left tire track and the extra width hangs over the right side. The way mine is set as long as you could drive the tractor beside the fence it would work. I would need to measure to tell you exact numbers but ballpark, my tractor is 58" wide and the tiller cuts 62". So it has around a 4" overhang to the right if that helps.

I'm pleased with the way mine is set because I can go any direction I want and it always cuts my tracks out.