Shuttle vs HST

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
BULLDOG,

On the tire thread, I agree. As Ive never had either of the trans in question and didnt see a comparison in the archives figured Id ask. I knew all sorts of answers would come out..... I promise to never start or take part in one of those world famous Tech forum OIL threads!!:D

I personally like my manual, and every tractor I have ever owned has beeen one. But as this is hopefully the last tractor I ever buy (first new one) along with a hip that keep getting worse every year, I gotta leave that full manual to the youths.

SMOG,

good quote by TUDOR, but I do both kinds of work. The bulk of my work is grass cutting and road maintenance around our property. If I am misled on this part someone please correct me. On the HST when cutting grass or the like, one has to keep their foot pushing the pedal down all the time? Or is this where that optional CRUISE COntrol comes in? One thing I dont want to have to do is keep my foot pushing a pedal when I am cutting grass for 2-3 hours every week. I do know on the GST once fwd or rev is selected all I have to do is set the engine speed and off she goes, feet are free to dance on the floor boards if one wishes.

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
SMOG,

On the HST when cutting grass or the like, one has to keep their foot pushing the pedal down all the time? Or is this where that optional CRUISE COntrol comes in?
on my HST, I set the engine/pto speed then I can set the tractor speed with something similar to cruise control. I don't need to press the go pedal all the time. You can even change the tractor speed with the cruise control lever.

what I like of the HST is the ability to change tractor speed while keeping the engine at peak HP/torque/PTO . The B7200 is borderline for a 48 inches pto snowblower so I NEED to keep the rpm up and play with the HST to match the amount of snow going in the blower.

So the PTO speed is ALWAYS 540rpm even if the tractor is crawling or backing up the driveway full speed.

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
I appreciate the explanation....I take it this lever you are referring to is a STD feature, on HST models, not something optional?

Looks like maybe I need to go back to the dealer and hands on demo both models.

I got a quote back today on a new, "0" hour Grand L3240, with the price being about the same as the low hour, slightly used unit Ive been looking at. I guess they are trying to move units. I just gotta make up my mind on which tranny I want.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I appreciate the explanation....I take it this lever you are referring to is a STD feature, on HST models, not something optional?

Looks like maybe I need to go back to the dealer and hands on demo both models.

I got a quote back today on a new, "0" hour Grand L3240, with the price being about the same as the low hour, slightly used unit Ive been looking at. I guess they are trying to move units. I just gotta make up my mind on which tranny I want.
Cruise control is standard on some HST models and optional on others, it is standard on the Grand L.

I am 64 and trust me, the older you get the nicer an HST is. The HD Shuttle Shift runs close depending on your uses.