Shredder - Rotary Mower - Bush Hog died!

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
Our 5' light duty shredder died. What is the better or best medium duty shredder that will work on my B2601? The L4600 is destined to be upgraded so, 6' is too small and 7' is too big for this tractor which has me coming full circle to probably a 4' medium duty shredder that is compatible with my B2601.

TIA,
Sid

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My L2501 runs a 5 footer very nicely. So i would stick with what you were using. I just checked Craig's list in my local and there were some used ones for a good price. You can not go wrong with a Rhino or a Landpride but that seams to me to be a lot of money for something you will beat up. I have a Kodiak that is 15 years old and it was stored outside in the Fl weather and is just now starting to show it's age.

Last edited:

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
My L2501 runs a 5 footer very nicely. So i would stick with what you were using. I just check Craig's list in my local and there were some used ones for a good price. You can not go wrong with a Rhino or a Landpride but that seams to me to be a lot of money for something you will beat up. I have a Kodiak that is 15 years old and it was stored outside in the Fl weather and is just now starting to show it's age.
Used Squealer

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
My L2501 runs a 5 footer very nicely. So i would stick with what you were using. I just checked Craig's list in my local and there were some used ones for a good price. You can not go wrong with a Rhino or a Landpride but that seams to me to be a lot of money for something you will beat up. I have a Kodiak that is 15 years old and it was stored outside in the Fl weather and is just now starting to show it's age.
If I was running the larger frame L, a 5' rotary mower is an easy choice. With the 'Baby B', I'm concerned the 5' mowers would be too heavy and too long. I'm concerned about the mower overwhelming the tractor size not, PTO HP concerns or limitations.

My L-4600 has plenty of PTO HP to run an ~8' mower but, it lacks tractor size to do it safely with a 3-point mounted option.

voodoo

Equipment
L5740
Aug 15, 2020
wiarton
Got an L5740 with a 6 foot squealer, seems a perfect fit size and HP wise. Bush hog says its around 750 lbs.
My family beat to death, a bought new 6 foot bush hog from the 80's but it took 30 years of hard labor to do it.
Nothing to complain about the quality of build from Bush Hog.
There are less expensive units on the market and likely do what they claim, but the Bush Hog line IMO is worth the extra money for something that may experience "hard labor".
They have specs on their website for other models and quite a good selection.

Last edited:

robinson1

Oct 11, 2020
Kentucky
If I was running the larger frame L, a 5' rotary mower is an easy choice. With the 'Baby B', I'm concerned the 5' mowers would be too heavy and too long. I'm concerned about the mower overwhelming the tractor size not, PTO HP concerns or limitations.

My L-4600 has plenty of PTO HP to run an ~8' mower but, it lacks tractor size to do it safely with a 3-point mounted option.
Depends on what you are cutting. Before buying my own I borrowed a 5 foot Bush Hog to try out on my B2920 and it did a nice job in knee high weeds and grass.

In the end I bought a 4 foot Landpride

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
None of the 'farm store' one are worth beans IMO. Landpride, Rhino and Brush Hog top my list. I have 2, a Landpride flat deck and a Rhino fold up. Beware, the Landpride's are heavy buggers though.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Our 5' light duty shredder died. What is the better or best medium duty shredder that will work on my B2601? The L4600 is destined to be upgraded so, 6' is too small and 7' is too big for this tractor which has me coming full circle to probably a 4' medium duty shredder that is compatible with my B2601.

TIA,
Sid
Woods and Bush Hog are considered TOL but LP is continually improving. I would recommend any of the three.

OF course, most (all?) large manufacturers make multiple classes, e.g., light duty, medium duty, HD, etc.

You are wise to consider weight vis a vis your B2601. It is not uncommon for lift related parts to fatigue and fail over time if one uses a rough cut mower exceeding the size or recommended weight rating of one's tractor.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Our 5' light duty shredder died.

OK, have to ask ...HOW did it 'die' ? Depending on mfr/model/etc... parts to repair might(well...should..) be cheaper than buying a new,unknown unit. A high priced of the product doesn't mean it IS better.
The lighter duty 'fam store' units usually die due to abuse,like tring to cut 14" of WET 'grass' instead of 4"..... I've got a $500 rider that's 22 years old and has cut hundreds of acres of grass,still has a good 'thin' deck as I clean it out after almost every use.