should I buy a Kubota M62 TLB

Fat Tony

Equipment
Grand L6060, L4474 snow blower, ZD331 zero turn mower,RTV1120, KX91-3
Jan 31, 2020
Honesdale Pennsylvania
Hi, I own a L6060 tractor and a KX 91-3 super series 2 mini excavator- the KX I bought new in 2019 and the tractor new in late 2019- the KX has a total of 10.5 hours and the tractor has 44.2 hours- my question is should I sell both of them and buy Kubota M62 TLB ? I was figuring that it would be less maintenance if I had one machine and one less monthly payment. I also would like to know if the M62 TLB is a good reliable tough machine- I would be using it around the house and on the property plus this year I have a lot of trenching and digging to do. I would not be using it for commercial just residential. It looks like a very heavy duty machine. All opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Tony:unsure:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hi, I own a L6060 tractor and a KX 91-3 super series 2 mini excavator- the KX I bought new in 2019 and the tractor new in late 2019- the KX has a total of 10.5 hours and the tractor has 44.2 hours- my question is should I sell both of them and buy Kubota M62 TLB ? I was figuring that it would be less maintenance if I had one machine and one less monthly payment. I also would like to know if the M62 TLB is a good reliable tough machine- I would be using it around the house and on the property plus this year I have a lot of trenching and digging to do. I would not be using it for commercial just residential. It looks like a very heavy duty machine. All opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Tony:unsure:
There's a lot we don't know. The M62 is a tough machine, but it's a Swiss army knife. You already have the mini-ex and have a lot of digging coming up. Why sell the tool made for the work you have to do and buy a sub-optimal machine? You can always trade next year.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I agree. The M62 won't dig as well as the mini ex. It's more tractor than an L, but not that much more. Two machines is better than one if you're doing a lot of digging. If you get to a point where you're not using the mini-ex very often, then at that point it might make sense to consolidate to a single machine with a backhoe.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Here's my experience based on the M59 (pre pollution control version of the M62)

Pros
more loader lift capacity
faster cycle times
higher lift
deeper BH depth
more BH dig capacity
surprising amount of grunt for machine size
heavier duty than the L6060
M59/M62 has been around a long time and has a good reputation for durability

Cons
no OEM cab
tight operator station - if you have big feet
slower BH operation due to TLB config - no 360 swing
pollution controls
expensive
not as comfortable for the operator as a fully loaded cab L6060

If you need a BH to work in tight spaces and do lots of trench work stick with the mini-ex.

If you need to do a lot of loader work and need higher lift to fill dump trucks and faster cycle times you will appreciate the M62 grunt. You can unload 3,000lb pallets of sod from a tractor trailer confidently and all day long in 2WD with the BH as counterweight.

The M59 loader will keep up with my older Case580 in raw digging grunt, and it will do it better in tight spaces. The backhoe hydraulic flow is just adequate and slow in comparison to the case. My preference would be a new CAT420IT as a general purpose machine. I work in tight spaces so the M59 is a compromise between lift capacity and maneuverability.

Since you have less than 60 hours on two machines in two years it doesn't sound like you are doing commercial work.

Last edited:

Fat Tony

Equipment
Jan 31, 2020
Honesdale Pennsylvania
Here's my experience based on the M59 (pre pollution control version of the M62)

Pros
more loader lift capacity
faster cycle times
higher lift
deeper BH depth
more BH dig capacity
surprising amount of grunt for machine size
heavier duty than the L6060
M59/M62 has been around a long time and has a good reputation for durability

Cons
no OEM cab
tight operator station - if you have big feet
slower BH operation due to TLB config - no 360 swing
pollution controls
expensive
not as comfortable for the operator as a fully loaded cab L6060

If you need a BH to work in tight spaces and do lots of trench work stick with the mini-ex.

If you need to do a lot of loader work and need higher lift to fill dump trucks and faster cycle times you will appreciate the M62 grunt. You can unload 3,000lb pallets of sod from a tractor trailer confidently and all day long in 2WD with the BH as counterweight.

The M59 loader will keep up with my older Case580 in raw digging grunt, and it will do it better in tight spaces. The backhoe hydraulic flow is just adequate and slow in comparison to the case. My preference would be a new CAT420IT as a general purpose machine. I work in tight spaces so the M59 is a compromise between lift capacity and maneuverability.

Since you have less than 60 hours on two machines in two years it doesn't sound like you are doing commercial work.
Hi, no I do not do commercial work, just around the house. Thanks for the advice- I just sold my L6060- I also have a SSV75- I had all of these machines before I moved to my new home in PA, and they were all paid for- I sold all of them to by a custom race car trailer and a drag car- but I soon found out that a car can not dig a hole or move pallets - so back into debt I went- well I also just started a new business which is going surprisingly well. If it wasn't for my wife carrying me during the start-up I wouldn't be here. I just thought that getting rid of two payments and machines and getting one payment less than one of the other would be better for the budget.

Fat Tony

Equipment
Jan 31, 2020
Honesdale Pennsylvania
I agree. The M62 won't dig as well as the mini ex. It's more tractor than an L, but not that much more. Two machines is better than one if you're doing a lot of digging. If you get to a point where you're not using the mini-ex very often, then at that point it might make sense to consolidate to a single machine with a backhoe.
Thanks for the advice-I am thinking on it.

Fat Tony

Equipment
Jan 31, 2020
Honesdale Pennsylvania
There's a lot we don't know. The M62 is a tough machine, but it's a Swiss army knife. You already have the mini-ex and have a lot of digging coming up. Why sell the tool made for the work you have to do and buy a sub-optimal machine? You can always trade next year.
Thanks for the advice am thinking about it.

Fat Tony

Equipment
Jan 31, 2020
Honesdale Pennsylvania
Thanks for the advice- am thinking about it.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
I have a L45TLB and Bobcat E50 excavator (I also have a BC T770, LB 330 ex, JD 410 TLB, Cat D4H, Cat 933 and a few other various pieces of equipment I have collected over the years). Having an excavator has no comparison if you are digging dirt, as already stated the TLBs are good at a lot of different types of work but not great at any of them.

I would keep what you have and if not needed after the majority of your work is done, sell and get the M62 which would be a good all around worker.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd have to agree with the others posted above. Keep the KX to knock out the digging tasks you have to do this year. Sell them both when completed and get your M62 after the bulk of the digging is done.

THEN, let me know when you're willing to part with the KX. I may be interested in it and you're just up the road from me. Did you purchase it from Marshals Machinery?

Reactions: 1 user

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
M62 BH Question:

Some sources online advertise the L47 and M62 TLBs as having a third hydraulic pump, supplying the left and right backhoe control levers each with their own supply of fluid. Reportedly, this means that the controls don't fight for the same supply of hydraulic fluid, allowing the BH to smoothly perform multiple motions at once, at least while the inputs come from separate levers. However, when we test-drove the machine, we found the opposite to be the case. Any input in the right stick (dipper / bucket) depowered the main boom's raise/lower function. It would still go down with gravity, and swing seemed minimally affected, but since boom-up inputs often coincide with dipper/bucket inputs, this seems like a problem. Was our experience a fluke, or is this normal behavior for this machine?"

Thanks in advance for any help - we're trying to make buy/no-buy decision.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
M62 BH Question:

Some sources online advertise the L47 and M62 TLBs as having a third hydraulic pump, supplying the left and right backhoe control levers each with their own supply of fluid. Reportedly, this means that the controls don't fight for the same supply of hydraulic fluid, allowing the BH to smoothly perform multiple motions at once, at least while the inputs come from separate levers. However, when we test-drove the machine, we found the opposite to be the case. Any input in the right stick (dipper / bucket) depowered the main boom's raise/lower function. It would still go down with gravity, and swing seemed minimally affected, but since boom-up inputs often coincide with dipper/bucket inputs, this seems like a problem. Was our experience a fluke, or is this normal behavior for this machine?"

Thanks in advance for any help - we're trying to make buy/no-buy decision.
My BH is off right now so I can't confirm. Two motions are ok but three motions needs to be smoother. There are times I wish my machine had higher hydraulic flow overall and servo hydraulic controls. For the price of the machine I'd expect more flow and higher pump pressures. At the end of the day it's still a compact machine with limited capabilities. The front end loader has a lot of grunt and still surprises me at times, the BH is just OK. What more can you expect from a bolt on BH attachment? Do you really expect to cut down trees using your swiss army knife saw blade?

If you are used to an excavator then the BH will leave you wanting at times. If you need a lot of BH work I'd keep the mini-x. Unless you won the lottery you will have to decide to compromise somewhere.

There is no such thing as one machine that does everything well. If I already had cabbed L6060 and mini-X I'd probably consider adding a large CTL or wheel loader. First world problems.

If you are simply ripping around the back forty the L6060 just means you are more comfortable in your cab and have to take more and smaller bites.

The M62 doesn't have a cab which sucks if you need to clean snow or bush hog on a hot dry dusty day with deer flies, wasps and mosquitoes.

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
Thanks, we really appreciate your insights.

We use our current Deere 110TLB around our woodlot alternating quite a bit between loader and BH work. So the TLB configuration has seemed perfect for us.

But the Deere is living in the shop these days with one breakdown after another - and the company doesn’t support the electronics anymore. So were looking for something similar.

When we tried the M62 at the dealer, we couldn’t convince ourselves that - when rolling in the bucket/dipper with our right hand to take a shovelful, that we could extend the main boom to put more power into the bite… But of course they wouldn’t actually let us actually dig.

Are you able to do that? Bite in for a shovelful with your right hand while extending your left hand to put more power into filling the bucket?

Thanks again for the sage advice.

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
RE Crankcase Ventilation (CCV) Heater Kit for M62

We’re finalizing options. Did anyone get the crankcase ventilation (CCV) heater kit? Its pretty expensive...

Thanks

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks, we really appreciate your insights.

We use our current Deere 110TLB around our woodlot alternating quite a bit between loader and BH work. So the TLB configuration has seemed perfect for us.

But the Deere is living in the shop these days with one breakdown after another - and the company doesn’t support the electronics anymore. So were looking for something similar.

When we tried the M62 at the dealer, we couldn’t convince ourselves that - when rolling in the bucket/dipper with our right hand to take a shovelful, that we could extend the main boom to put more power into the bite… But of course they wouldn’t actually let us actually dig.

Are you able to do that? Bite in for a shovelful with your right hand while extending your left hand to put more power into filling the bucket?

Thanks again for the sage advice.
I am not exactly sure I understand about the two hand operation with shovelful and bite…I have a BH92 and I do not know it operates same as the M62 and if I am understanding it’s not an issue on the bh92…I will say though that the engine needs to be reved up to 2k or more to get the multiple controls working properly. Also between the two joysticks there is a noticeable different tension per each one. …meaning one is more sensitive than the other which could be misleading until you play with it a little.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am not exactly sure I understand about the two hand operation with shovelful and bite…I have a BH92 and I do not know it operates same as the M62 and if I am understanding it’s not an issue on the bh92…I will say though that the engine needs to be reved up to 2k or more to get the multiple controls working properly. Also between the two joysticks there is a noticeable different tension per each one. …meaning one is more sensitive than the other which could be misleading until you play with it a little.
I suspect there is a big operational difference between the M62 dedicated BH, and the add on BH 92.
The BH 1100 on my L48 TLB is one powerful bugger, and there is absolutely no difference in joystick tension.
The L48 TLB has three hydraulic pumps, and since the M62 is a bit larger yet, I assume that it would have 3 pumps also.
Very stable total hydraulic flow/volume.

Last edited:

Putneymountain

Equipment
Kubota M62
Sep 11, 2021
Putney, VT
So far so good with the new M62…

There is one thing – when I check the hydraulic fluid, sometimes I think I can see small bubbles in it…our previous tractors never had that…is it normal for this machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.