Should I add these extras?

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
Decided to purchase a new L3901 after debating new and used and the 0% financing. I will be using it as a general do it all but the main jobs will be mowing with a 72” finish mower on some areas around a large pond and roadside. Moving firewood probably going to start putting in bins on a pallet. And tilling with 71” tiller approximately 3-4 acres a year to plant vegetables. I will be doing some general landscaping and moving dirt and taking trees down from time to time. Should I get the tires filled? And possibly a remote third valve? Anything else you guys suggest from the dealer before I pick up? I’m stuck in Jamaica for an extra day so on Monday I will speak with dealer to finalize.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I would have the tires filled for sure. These tractors love weight in the back. Front end loader? Mandatory for what you want to do with it. I would recommend the ssqa over the pin on type. If you can afford the third function, go for it. A grapple is the handiest attachment IMHO.

Will the L3901 have enough power at the PTO for a 71***8221; tiller? That is one thing I am questioning that others can answer.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I would fill the back tires and get/make yourself a ballast for the 3pt for when you are using the FEL. It will take some of the weight off the front axle.

I use my L3901DT a lot for firewood and use a set of pallet forks to move 60" long logs from where I cut the tree down to my shed. You can search for my post to see some pictures.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I would get 2 sets of rear remotes as sooner or later you will need them. I am sure it will handle a 72 inch tiller as I have used one on my of tractor which was a 32 hp. You may have to go really slow in heavy sod but it will get the job done

yoteantidote

May 12, 2016
Argentine, Mi
Curious as to why you guys recommend filling the rear tires when it looks like his main use would be cutting the lawn with a finish mower? Wouldn’t this increase the likelihood of making ruts especially near the pond???

I don’t think he needs the ballast since he could use the tiller for that when doing firewood, either way ballast is easy to create.

Just wondering cuz I don’t have my tires filled on my 3901 and I have no problems with traction doing most things even with my backhoe off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
FEL work with bucket/grapples/forks is where the ballast is needed. IMHO, filled tires are not enough if you do a lot with the FEL. But I see your point. If the main duty is finish mowing,no filled tires and maybe he should look at the lawn tires.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
X2 on remotes and anything else "dealer installed" that you may think you want in the future. Dealers seem more willing to deal on those at the time of sale than they are when you bring the tractor back specifically for those items. My rear remotes were definitely more expensive after the sale on my second tractor than they were at the time of purchase on the first one.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
The finish mowing is more of a "field" than an actual lawn, I am going to keep my eye out for a used brush mower as well. I'm not to worried about the weight if it makes sense to get the extra weight which I was leaning towards, for the loader work. Any idea how much the extra valves cost installed during purchase. I got a quote on tires with rim guard $400 so I saw another thread where that seems pretty on par. These guys were cheapest to start with and I got them to throw in a set of pallet forks for an extra $140 so as long as the they are in the wheelhouse I'm good with the pricing.

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
Quotes for the the remotes installed are $950 for front and $1000 for rear. Anybody know if these are decent quotes?