shore power and batter conditioner for L3901

PeteW

Equipment
Maybe 3901
Mar 10, 2021
Western wi
I recently installed a shore power connection that supplies a battery conditioner and supplies the block heater off a thermostatic switch. The project was pretty straight forward, everything works pretty well. I will be modifying the block heater control. My garage isn't warm enough to reliably turn off the block heater. I will probably be installing a manual switch for the block heater. My garage holds in the mid to upper 30's most of the winter, so the block heater really isn't that critical.
I ordered the shore power connection and 60" block heater cable from Amazon, had the mounting box locally fabricated, and of course purchase of Kubota paint. Originally I was going to paint it orange, but the Lovely Mrs. P overruled that decision. All told it was about $150 with the battery conditioner. The conditioner sits above the battery.

I have had two regent cycles since installing the box and wires, have not had any excessive heat on the wires.

The block heater 60" cable is a zerostart 3600001
The shore power plug is a NOCO GCP2

tempImageNqWm6E.jpg
tempImageXWC3Fb.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I have a similar setup on my LX but I have Wi-Fi in the barn so I control the plug with a Wi-Fi controlled outlet. Is it feasible for you to do something like that to control the outlet? (assuming you have a signal that reaches out to the garage. Or perhaps you can use one of those AC outlet Wi-Fi extenders to get power out to it. The outlets I use are from TP Link and are only about $20. You can turn them on or off from your phone. They really are pretty slick. I have one for the pickup and one for the tractor.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't understand the purpose if you don't need to use the block heater. I find it much simpler to attach the leads for a Battery Tender and plug that in.

But, glad you got what you wanted done.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I don't understand the purpose if you don't need to use the block heater. I find it much simpler to attach the leads for a Battery Tender and plug that in.

But, glad you got what you wanted done.
Hardest thing you can do to a motor in cold weather is starting it. Don't need the block heater to start the motor. BUT since the water jacket is warm that also warms the oil and makes it flow to all the bearings and the valve train that much faster. That helps limit wear. How much money does it save in repairs or in longer engine life... I don't have an answer for you but for the $80 I have in my block heater and the handy plug that I can turn on from the house before I head out to plow snow is worth it. It's also likely when I kick the bucket one of my kids will get a lot more years of like out of the tractor...
So in my opinion it's money well spent.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you need a block heater, you really should have a battery blanket as well ! NO battery likes the cold. They lose a LOT of power, real fast.
Most 'block heater timer/controllers' now have 2 plugs on them so easy to connect and control.