shifting lock up on L245DT

quinka

Equipment
L245DT with FEL and backhoe, B7100HST
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Hi all, and I hope service department Vic will answer this with his expertise. My L245DT with FEL when I am digging (and I am always in 4 wheel drive as our property is mostly steep hills) I use low range to fill the bucket, then switch to high range to travel. Often, when I shift to high range, then shift to 1st gear for travelling, the shift lever locks solid in gear and the only way to fix it is to remove the cover and re-line up the shafts for the forks to go in. It happens often. I thought it was the cover with the levers worn, but I purchased a used one and put it on.............same thing. When it locks, I cannot get out of 4wd or shift from low range to high range or high to low either, I need to shut down (wherever I am) and get off tractor and remove cover to re-align the shafts.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

How about service dept. Vic, could you help here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

quinka

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
:)
They had a problem with the 185/245 way back when. Dealer recalled my 185 and put a kit in the transmission, back in '79 or '80. I'd only seen the problem once, and that was on a considerable hill... Never another problem.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Thanks for the feedback gpreuss and Vic. I am not certain shifting forks are not worn, I just thought where I changed covers (with levers) that it negated backward or worn forks, yet both covers could be worn. I am installing power steering on it soon, so will have to take it apart anyway. Never have the problem in high range, just shifts fine, it is just low range. High range will go all day long and be fine, but I cannot dig in high range as soil I am digging is full of rocks as well. Even though I built teeth for the bucket and welded pieces of truck leaf springs on the teeth (for toughness and long lasting) I still can't rush into the dirt in 1st high, need 3rd or 4th low to fill bucket, then go to high 1st to travel, that's when it jams. It is just when I dig with it, mowing with finish mower is just fine in any high gear.

Should I check my serial number to see if it is on the list?

This is a great tractor and since I rebuilt the steering column (thanks to Vic's video), the tractor is fine, but with full bucket it is difficult to steer until I get moving which is why I am putting power steering on both tractors soon and building a FEL for my B7100HST so it also will need power steering.

I guess I will have to split the unit and pull transmission soon, but I only dig once in awhile.

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
By the way in case anybody is interested.........when I put my 6 foot box blade on while digging, steering is almost easy with full bucket (but I can't get into tight places with 6 foot box).

Thanks.