Serial Number

Timberwulf

Equipment
Kubota B1550 HST
Mar 29, 2011
Pense, Saskatchewn, Canada
Is it possible to tell what year my tractor is from the serial number?

If so can anyone help me out?

Kubota B1550 HST

# from bill of sale: B1550HD61600

Numbers I found on side of tractor by area left foot sits:
D850-5B

If neither of those makes sense I'll go look on the tractor again as i saw on the net that it should be by the valve or oil filter ion engine.

Thanks

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I have the same issue nailing down a specific year of my B2150, I have searched to no end to only find a broad year range but no info to nail it down to a specific year. So mine is to refer to the Johnny Cash song a 1988 through a 1996 model but I have seen this model advertised up to 1999 IIRC also.:confused:

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I don't see how being year specific is that big of a deal. Plenty of parts are still available for the tractor you have. I know it sounds kinda harsh but several members have asked that very same million dollar question with no definite answer.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Most manufactures of non titled equipment have gotten away from model years and now just bring out improvements as they update the equipment and so note the changes as different part numbers from a paticular serial number range and so on.

That may change a little as the emmission standards tighten, as the EPA goes off of years so a paticular year "engine" has to meet certain standards.

How that might apply to a actual year of tractor is unknown. They may adopt a date manufactured to meet certain emmision standards, but not a formal model year like the automotive manufactures do.

In other words say a BX25 tractor produced 3/2013 is not a model year 2013 persay, but only for the eyes of the law does it meet year 2013 emmission and safety standards. Still, it is sold as simply a a BX25, all BX25's technicaly the same without years. But possibly with detail differences in manufacture. When the actual model changes due to a major design change, then that is indicated in a new model number (sorta like the progression of BX 23, BX 24 and BX 25, no real model years, but real design changes)

Food for thought

David

EDIT - Yamaha outboard motors (non titled) has done this since 2006. There are NO model years since then. A good example might be the 225hp four stroke outboard. While no model years, there are serveral detail parts changes and updates that require a serial number to get the correct part - They do however have a built on date, but that is only when the outboard was built, and has absolutly no corrolation to any model year in the normal sense. You will also see other decals noting that the engines meet a paticular years emmission standards, but then again, that has no corrolation to the model year, just that years emmissions standards.

MerCruiser has done this for 40+ years, no specific model years, but serial number ranges for paticular models and changes during there production run

Last edited: