Sediment in Off Road Diesel

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Looked in my two mostly empty, brand new cans and noticed sediment in the bottom of both. I've only owned my tractor a few months and I've always purchased diesel at the same gas station. I couldn't get the sediment out by pouring so I used some panty hose to filter the remaining fuel into another can. Guess I'll have to blast the cans out with the hose and let them dry. Is it normal to have sediment in off road diesel? My instinct tell me no .

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
No it is not normal.
But there are plenty of places to pick up sediment.
From the pumps and heat exchangers in the hydrocracker there are many places that rust and/or dirt can break loose. All the way down to the hose between the tanker truck and the tank you purchase your diesel from.

I have a two month old can and have already noticed a couple specks in the bottom of it. Bothers me a little bit but the other extreme is a guy I used to work for years ago. He used a chamois in a funnel to filter the diesel before he put it in his tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looked in my two mostly empty, brand new cans and noticed sediment in the bottom of both. I've only owned my tractor a few months and I've always purchased diesel at the same gas station. I couldn't get the sediment out by pouring so I used some panty hose to filter the remaining fuel into another can. Guess I'll have to blast the cans out with the hose and let them dry. Is it normal to have sediment in off road diesel? My instinct tell me no .

Bam,

I have noticed the same......

I had enough and ordered a $20 funnel/filter off of amazon - AMAZING what that filter stops!!!:eek: Water too!;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Both places i get diesel from have a filter mounted on the discharge off the pump. Hose and nozzle hook to the filter. Wondering if it's something they do regionally. Haven't had any issues with sediment except where i've accidentally knocked the cap and nozzel for my can into some dirt in the bed of the truck.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We used regular diesel in yellow cans for years and got sediment as well. We now have gravity fed tanks on our farms with a filter between the tank and hose.

Islandguy

Equipment
L3800DT, 1964 Allice Chalmers D15
May 10, 2014
NW Wa
I never buy fuel if I see the big fuel truck there filling the tanks and stirring up all the sediment at the bottom...... Of course he coulda just left.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I filter all fuel from a bulk tank and yes, I find sediment in the filter when I change it.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Bam,

I have noticed the same......

I had enough and ordered a $20 funnel/filter off of amazon - AMAZING what that filter stops!!!:eek: Water too!;)
Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip!