Save a tree

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
So I’ve had this what seems to be sap all over my truck and anything else that I park near a very large oak tree in our yard, well it’s mostly on our property. Been parking in the same spot for a number of years and never had this problem. After a google search it appears to be “honey dew” from some sort of infestation. Also, I lot of leaves are dying.

Any one have experience with this type of issue? If so, what was the outcome of whatever measures you took to remedy the issue.

Really hoping to save the tree and it’s quite large and great shade.

Next step may be to contact an arborist if we have any locally.

My former father in law retired from the forest service but he isn’t going to answer my calls, so.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
lol. Not sure. It looks like this on my window. And you can see some of the leaves on the ground.

Attachments

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Likely aphids, yes, contact an arborist before you lose the tree. I highly recommend Bartlett.

Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Any insecticide that will work is most likely going to be "restricted use", which means you need a license to buy it. The best one would be a systemic (one that is taken up via. the roots) but they are super toxic, Aldicarb which was Temik (now produced under AgLogic - China company).

There are sprays that could work but Aphids (which is most likely what you are dealing with) have been exposed to so many sprays that they are resistant to a lot of them. You'll kill most of them but a few would survive to reproduce and next time if you spray with the same formulation, you'll barely make a dent in the population.

Either way, applying any of these chemicals would be left to professionals.

imidacloprid would also be a good one since it's relative new compound (might work on aphids) and is also systemic. Could be taken up from injections in the ground or sprayed on canopy.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is it seasonal or all summer/ year round?

Just thinking tree pollen if seasonal?

My truck has been covered for 6 weeks.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Any insecticide that will work is most likely going to be "restricted use", which means you need a license to buy it. The best one would be a systemic (one that is taken up via. the roots) but they are super toxic, Aldicarb which was Temik (now produced under AgLogic - China company).

There are sprays that could work but Aphids (which is most likely what you are dealing with) have been exposed to so many sprays that they are resistant to a lot of them. You'll kill most of them but a few would survive to reproduce and next time if you spray with the same formulation, you'll barely make a dent in the population.

Either way, applying any of these chemicals would be left to professionals.

imidacloprid would also be a good one since it's relative new compound (might work on aphids) and is also systemic. Could be taken up from injections in the ground or sprayed on canopy.
Imidacloprid kills honeybees, and will kill the ladybugs that feed on aphids. It was banned in the UK for that reason.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Looks like a sizeable tree. If it is aphids, a soap/ water/ vinegar solution will kill them. So will Permethin. These are the least toxic options. Problem is, you have to coat the underside of the leaves thoroughly. And, they may be in other trees adjacent to it.
I would contact an arborist and at least get professional guidance. Whether you use them or not is up to you. At least see what they say.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I sure as hell dont need anything that kills anymore of my bees

Reactions: 2 users

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
It’s a very large tree and don’t won’t to lose it, so I’ll be contacting an arborist.

I thought it might be seasonal but with the number of leaves that have died and fallen off I started thinking something was wrong with it.

appreciate the responses.