S&R 3 point chipper

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
I saw for sale a pretty decent looking S&R 3 point chipper (1846P) and can't find much info about them on the innerwebs. It looks like the company was out of Oregon but is out of business now. This is the 18" model that can handle 4" diameter "logs". The guy has the owner's manual and says the knives have been sharpened recently. I think it has some type of power feed. The price is about half to a third the big name brands (that are still in business) in comparable condition. Does anyone know about these? Are knives still available? Are they some type of standard? Are there other parts that wear out that might be proprietary and therefore not available? I have never owned a chipper but I have been looking at the used ones that have a motor on them. The 3 point ones seem pricey but they might be great behind something that has a lot of PTO power. The vast majority of the chippers I see used are either too small HP or they are the true pro types and most of those are way out of my price range. There are some that are in between that I run across in the 12-18 HP range like DR, Brush Master and Bearcat. Those are the ones I have been looking at until I ran across this 3 point S&R. Can anyone give a few pros and cons on the 3 point vs stand alone chippers?

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Because I just got a tractor, I sold my DR 18hp tow-behind chipper and replaced it with a Woodmaxx PTO-driven 3pt chipper. If buying each of them new, the Woodmaxx is cheaper than the DR, and at least 5X faster at chipping wood. The DR doesn't have a power feed and has fewer knives on the flywheel, which together make it soooooooo much slower to process limbs.

I normally prefer to buy used equipment but I could not find a used PTO chipper of the right size so I bought new. They are pretty simple devices for the most part, the most complex part being the power feeder. I would guess the rotating knives could be fabbed or modified from another make without too much trouble, though the bed knife may be harder to cobble if you can't find an exact match replacement.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I just recently took delivery and set up a 3pt chipper…so I have very little suggestion, however in my decision I went with a 3pt as I can still easily pull a trailer along with me (mine has a trailer hitch/ball as an accessory) and it’s also not an extra engine to maintain. To me those are some pros. On the cons, it’s big and it hangs back about 7 feet from tractor and greatly reduces an approach angle….it also reduces the use of the tractor as a tractor. however I can pull my trailer and drop wherever convenient back in the woods. Anyway that is how i sort of chose between the two. I think price depends on the make and model and how you plan to process the branches. If you compare a harbor freight pull type to a 3pt from say woodmaxx wallenstien or woodland mills it’s not a fair comparison in any way…so I think you have to look at comparable grade/quality in comparing the engine or power source of gas engine vs diesel (different level of torque)if comparing price. From usability / flexibility, they are different. I think a pull type you drop off with a separate engine (but it’s an extra engine to maintain…now you need 3 types of fuel - tractor, saw, and chipper)allows you to use your tractor to lift a log or branch if you need to cut something where as if on the 3 pt, it really starts to limit using the tractor as a tractor if in a confined space…it really becomes more of the power plant so to speak. The 3pt does make great ballast though…takes up some space. I am not sure I helped. But those would be my thoughts/ considerations.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Shanester

Equipment
B7500HST MX5100HST
Sep 21, 2021
Ohio
The guy sold it before I could look at it. He was asking $700 which I thought was pretty reasonable for a nice condition chipper like this but also considering the manufacturer is out of business. In my research I did find that they made these chippers from about 1994-1998. They also made what appears to be an identical model called the 18P for Danuser and that company is still in business. Danuser doesn't sell chippers anymore but still have at this time a handful of knife kits and bed knife kits in stock for the 18P but are discontinued. Also the Sharp Knife Co in Massachusetts can make any knife if they have a print to go by. I'm sure there are many other places that can do it but I ran across them first.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville