rust on galvanized tire chains

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Put em on the tractor run the snot out of them over the winter and when you take them off in the spring wash em off and let them dry, then stick em in an old bucket and dump your last oil change over them,,, forget about them for a week or so them lift them out and hang them some place the old oil wont get on everything,, Thats how I do mine and they have been around for a long time

runrun338

Equipment
l3010 hts , jd 3520 e-hydro , 2004 gmc duramax 3500hd
Nov 1, 2015
north yarmouth
ok will do. do you think i can do something to stop or slow the ware on the galvanization it self? and yes you are suposed to change you oil:):):D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Boy, I wish I had nothing better or worse to worry about than rust on tire chains. They will function fine for many years. More of a question I have run into is the wear gets so great that I am concerned about possibly breaking under load at the most critical time. That rust loss of metal is inconsequential. When they get worn down to a questionable condition come on back and we can talk about depositing weld metal on the wear locations.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My tractor chains are as old as the hills. Rust is a non issue compared to the grinding they get just driving on them.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
The chains on my lawn tractor were 14 years old, saw a lot of asphalt wheel spin and are rusty. They still have 20 years use in them when I sold the tractor.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have never seen a set, hanging on the wall rust apart. Seen many that wore apart, but I wouldn't worry about rust. I hate handlin oily chains, rust is easier to wash off...:D:D