Running issue

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
It bitter cold,result,need more firewood. Went to cut some today,had to plow the skid path first. After a short time,tractor started loosing power. Died a few times,but restarted often enough to get back to the house. Pulled the filter,full of slush.Kubota dealer closed,so cleaned out fliterally as well as I could,added some extra conditioner and gave it a try. No go. Had to bleed the injectors to get it ti Fire,and it did start,but one injector was being difficult,line was looking like it was starting to twist instead of loosening so I left it alone. Engine running a little rough,ran it some hoping it would work the air out,but didn't seem to be happening,so I shut her down. Any advice?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It bitter cold,result,need more firewood. Went to cut some today,had to plow the skid path first. After a short time,tractor started loosing power. Died a few times,but restarted often enough to get back to the house. Pulled the filter,full of slush.Kubota dealer closed,so cleaned out fliterally as well as I could,added some extra conditioner and gave it a try. No go. Had to bleed the injectors to get it ti Fire,and it did start,but one injector was being difficult,line was looking like it was starting to twist instead of loosening so I left it alone. Engine running a little rough,ran it some hoping it would work the air out,but didn't seem to be happening,so I shut her down. Any advice?
It sounds like fuel gelling to me, get some "meltdown" and put into the fuel,BUT If you were loosening the lines at the injection pump instead of at the injectors and you have mistakenly loosened the delivery valve on the injection pump it will run rough and smoke! make sure the fitting below the injector line nut is tight.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
What I'm wondering,will the injector I could not crack work the air out,or do I need to bleed it? For the most part engine sound ok,just not as smooth as it was,and a wee bit of sputtering on throttling up or down,no smoking

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
What I'm wondering,will the injector I could not crack work the air out,or do I need to bleed it? For the most part engine sound ok,just not as smooth as it was,and a wee bit of sputtering on throttling up or down,no smoking
Yes, it will work the air out provided there is nothing wrong with it. shouldn't take very long.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Not sure what " meltdown" is or where to get it,I'm guessing it's a winter conditioner? I did add conditioner that was highly recommended by a local small engine shop well versed in diesels. I am wondering if the slight "sputtering", for lack of better terms,may be because of the fuel itself? After gelling,is the qulaity of the fuel diminished to the point that it will cause slight running issues? Should I drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Not sure what " meltdown" is or where to get it,I'm guessing it's a winter conditioner? I did add conditioner that was highly recommended by a local small engine shop well versed in diesels. I am wondering if the slight "sputtering", for lack of better terms,may be because of the fuel itself? After gelling,is the qulaity of the fuel diminished to the point that it will cause slight running issues? Should I drain the fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel?
Meltdown is a additive that you put into diesel fuel to dissolve wax and prevent gelling in cold weather. It is available almost everywhere here in Alberta, but maybe that's because we are generally colder than Ontario. Should be no need to drain your fuel as long as it isn't contaminated with water or something . Conditioners will do little to address gelling and wax which I believe is the problem you are facing. If you can get the tractor inside where it is warm everything should clear up. You might have to change your fuel filters though if you cannot find meltdown to dissolve the wax in them.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Meltdown is a additive that you put into diesel fuel to dissolve wax and prevent gelling in cold weather. It is available almost everywhere here in Alberta, but maybe that's because we are generally colder than Ontario. Should be no need to drain your fuel as long as it isn't contaminated with water or something . Conditioners will do little to address gelling and wax which I believe is the problem you are facing. If you can get the tractor inside where it is warm everything should clear up. You might have to change your fuel filters though if you cannot find meltdown to dissolve the wax in them.
It is k100 that I put in.Dealership closed until Tuesday,and with my work schedule it will be Saturday before I can get there to buy a new filter.i don't have a shop to warm it up. Alberta is generally colder than Ontario,this week has been a exception. I thought I was doing the right thing with conditioning the fuel,used " Startron Diesel additive",guessing it wasn't up to the task.
I will do a search for meltdown,I am comcerned,had originally put the Startron in as usual,then added the k100 yesterday,with meltdown on top do that what kind of chemical soup is the fuel becoming,and can that cause engine damage.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It is k100 that I put in.Dealership closed until Tuesday,and with my work schedule it will be Saturday before I can get there to buy a new filter.i don't have a shop to warm it up. Alberta is generally colder than Ontario,this week has been a exception. I thought I was doing the right thing with conditioning the fuel,used " Startron Diesel additive",guessing it wasn't up to the task.
I will do a search for meltdown,I am comcerned,had originally put the Startron in as usual,then added the k100 yesterday,with meltdown on top do that what kind of chemical soup is the fuel becoming,and can that cause engine damage.
I don't know if it's an exception or not! We are -35c here for the last few days

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I don't know if it's an exception or not! We are -35c here for the last few days
for your own peace of mind it would likely be good to drain the fuel and replace it with good winter diesel. then you wouldn't need any additives at all! It isn't that much fuel after all.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
I know,been in regular contact with my brother in Edmonton,niece in Calgary,sister in Camrose,what is the exception is that it's been colder here almost every day for a week,it's usually colder there,especially in Edmonton

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I know,been in regular contact with my brother in Edmonton,niece in Calgary,sister in Camrose,what is the exception is that it's been colder here almost every day for a week,it's usually colder there,especially in Edmonton
I actually live a few miles east of Camrose

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
AL M - I use the Power Service stuff, and I'm guessing their version of "Meltdown" as eserv mentions is called Diesel 911 - red bottle.

It's all over here at Tractor Supply, auto stores, etc. Don't know if it's the same up there.

Just want to throw it out there if you have ready access to one of those places with your dealership closed.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
AL M - I use the Power Service stuff, and I'm guessing their version of "Meltdown" as eserv mentions is called Diesel 911 - red bottle.

It's all over here at Tractor Supply, auto stores, etc. Don't know if it's the same up there.

Just want to throw it out there if you have ready access to one of those places with your dealership closed.

Good Luck!!
Thanks,it is available at my local Canadian Tire,and there is a TSC in town

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Super - I don't keep it on-hand, either.

Just hoping I never need it...

I started my day yesterday with a shot distribution blower on my pellet stove - made a quick 80 mile round trip for part....thankfully wasn't today...the place would be closed, and we were -8F this morning....BBRRR! (And that's probably ALOT warmer than you guys!)

Again, Good luck and Happy New Year!

Last edited:

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Bought some of the diesel 911, put in a good dose and let it sit while the tractor was plugged in( just found the cord for the block heater yesterday,didn't know it had one).Ran it for awhile,seems to be working better now,but I'm sure new fuel would help,will prob use what's in it next weekend, then need to decide on a product for the remainder of the season,the Startron I was using didn't do the job. Local small engine guy recommended Shellbourne products.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Bought some of the diesel 911, put in a good dose and let it sit while the tractor was plugged in( just found the cord for the block heater yesterday,didn't know it had one).Ran it for awhile,seems to be working better now,but I'm sure new fuel would help,will prob use what's in it next weekend, then need to decide on a product for the remainder of the season,the Startron I was using didn't do the job. Local small engine guy recommended Shellbourne products.
If you are using currently available fuel you really shouldn't need any additives. The fuel companies really do know how to make appropriate fuel.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
If you are using currently available fuel you really shouldn't need any additives. The fuel companies really do know how to make appropriate fuel.
I agree,for the most part,but was just talking with my bil,he and his son,my nephew,run a fairly large cash crop operation,and are currently stripping a large bush lot to crop. They have a d8, a cat shovel,a timber farmer,a Ford tandem dump and a couple chev diesel pick ups,and have been plagued with fuel issues this week.
I'm not alone,they go through a lot more fuel than most,I'm sure it's fresh

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
AL M- I certainly don’t want to disagree with eserv - he’s been there done that.
I use the Power Service winter stuff also, and do the summer additive as well.
Does it help? Don’t know, because I’ve never had a problem.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
AL M- I certainly don’t want to disagree with eserv - he’s been there done that.
I use the Power Service winter stuff also, and do the summer additive as well.
Does it help? Don’t know, because I’ve never had a problem.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My biggest concern with adding gunk to fuel is that you sure don't want it in ANY engine with a DPF! Almost every case I run into with frequent regens is on machines that have doctored fuel.