RTV500 Front Axle Case Oil

ComfortablyNumb

Equipment
RTV500
Mar 23, 2015
Blythewood, SC
I just finished my 400 hour fluids/filters change on my RTV500, but could not locate the front axle case "filling plug with dipstick." On page 66 of the Operator's Manual, there is an illustration of the drain plug and the filling plug. I've located the drain plug but after about an hour lying in the dirt, I finally gave up on locating the filling plug. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

tawilson1152

Equipment
RTV 500, ZD28, BX2360
Mar 19, 2015
Theresa, NY
It's behind the winch mounting space. I added a piece of poly hose to a funnel to reach. I wish now I would have pulled the black plastic cowl pieces off instead because I ended up doing it anyways to install a winch and it wasn't that hard.

ComfortablyNumb

Equipment
RTV500
Mar 23, 2015
Blythewood, SC
It's behind the winch mounting space. I added a piece of poly hose to a funnel to reach. I wish now I would have pulled the black plastic cowl pieces off instead because I ended up doing it anyways to install a winch and it wasn't that hard.
Thanks a bunch, TA. Couldn't have done this without your help. I was able to locate the top of the dipstick plug by running my hand around back there. After removal, I placed a small funnel in the hole and poured in fluid using a measuring cup.

On another issue, I'm sure you've already encountered the steering column noise that seems to be a part of this RTV's genetic material. I have done exhaustive searches on the internet trying to see how others are dealing with this design flaw. The difficult part, of course, is removing the steering wheel so that the rubber bushing can be accessed. The best advise I've received thus far is to back out the nut until it's flush with the shaft bolt. Then have another person pull back on the steering wheel while you place a piece of brass against the nut and strike the brass with a large hammer. I was able to do this with my 235 lb. son's help. Then you place anti-seize on the bushing and shaft before reattaching the steering wheel. This has been a less than satisfactory solution to this aggravation because the noise soon returns.

I'd be interested to know if you've encountered this problem and if you've found a better way to deal with it.

tawilson1152

Equipment
RTV 500, ZD28, BX2360
Mar 19, 2015
Theresa, NY
Gad that worked out for you. I've found pulling the appropriate wheel makes life easier on the 500's filter changes. You can see the dipstick if you take the right front off.
I've got the squeaky wheel and haven't done anything yet. Right now, I've got it tore apart adding some lights and a winch. Now I want to do it again this summer to hose all the dirt that got collected in the six years I've had it. The two tunnels under the floor mat were full of mud.

Cottonwood

Equipment
G2000. F2560
Jul 15, 2015
Courtland, MN
I took off the steering wheel a couple times and sprayed silicone lube into that squeaky bushing. Mine hasn’t squeaked in several years. In fact i had forgotten how aggravating it was until I saw these posts.