RTV-X1140 - benefits of a hand throttle

RodRocket

Feb 21, 2022
Australia
I have been reading up and watching videos that were posted way back since early the Jan 2021 (on this and a number of other Forums), on the benefits of adding a hand throttle to RTV-Xs, and on similar and earlier Kubota models.
It seems the major reason advocating a hand throttle is to raise the base engine speed and torque to drive the snow plows and similar attachments at the correct RPM (and torque). But in real terms, a hand throttle has a broader role to play.

Looking at most modern-day mobile machinery such as tractors, skid-steer loaders, excavators, etc, etc, they now have hydrostatic transmissions to eliminate a clutch and meshing gears and for the ease and simplicity of forward and reverse vehicle motion. But, also with mobile hydrostatic transmissions, they are just about always operate with a high revving governed engine. Why? To keep the engine running in a higher torque band.

Now, it is very likely that the smart engineers at Kubota, have a "standard control system" of electronics and linkages working in unison to keep the engine RPM just high enough to maintain the torque in equilibrium with the force necessary to stroke the transmission swashplate to start and then drive the RTV to the max. power and speed. But to expect a heavy RTV-X to climb up a steep hill from a standstill, with the engine RPM starting at just above idle, is a big ask.

In a practical sense, under higher starting loads, it is much better to utilize a hand throttle to run the engine at higher base RPM and in a higher torque range, and temporally override the standard control system settings. And let the actual HST do its job!

The Kubota RTV-X*** series with a HST is undoubtedly considered a HD mobile machine, and as such are designed to handle the tough jobs around the farm and worksite. Maybe not that fast, but certainly a lot more heavy-duty compared to most "big-boy-toys", à la, UTVs.
In my view, a fully adjustable hand throttle should be standard equipment on RTV-Xs, as HD working vehicles. Not just to warm up cold engines, or just to operate attachments at a higher speeds, but importantly to assist the HST to better manage higher engine RPM and torque outputs, when operating at slow/low ground speed and demanding high load/tractive effort.

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
I was told that the Kubota hand throttle kit will not work with the two-row X1140. I assume it is because the throttle cable is too short to reach the engine on the longer wheelbase.
Thoughts?

RodRocket

Feb 21, 2022
Australia
I was told that the Kubota hand throttle kit will not work with the two-row X1140. I assume it is because the throttle cable is too short to reach the engine on the longer wheelbase.
Thoughts?
Yes, from a couple of accounts, it is short. However, it is a matter of finding a different path to connect both ends, and it likely means temporarily taking off the bottom guard and go under and through that way, which I understand works well.
For some reason there does not appear there is a kit yet for the x1140

MoCo

Equipment
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
Has anyone out there successfully attempted the hand throttle kit on the X1140?
I would like to hear about it before purchasing so I don't re-invent the wheel.

RodRocket

Feb 21, 2022
Australia
Has anyone out there successfully attempted the hand throttle kit on the X1140?
I would like to hear about it before purchasing so I don't re-invent the wheel.
Hi MoCo, this is a good video to see how the existing hand throttle kit does actually fit a X1140:-

MoCo

Equipment
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
Thanks for that. Interesting that the YouTube algorithm did not pick it up on my search. There is surprisingly very little content on the RTV X1140 (on YouTube and this forum) since they are not uncommon.