RTV 900X wouldn’t turn off

kubota.ray76

Mar 3, 2017
round rock
Howdy y’all, today my RTV 900X wouldn’t shut off after use. I clogged the air intake and after a few minutes it died out after pressing on the gas pedal.

My question is what would cause it and what should I check?

Is there another way of shutting off the vehicle without clogging the air intake?

Any advice suggestions or comments would greatly be appreciated...

thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I believe your machine is shut down by applying power to the engine stop solenoid for a few seconds until the engine comes to a stop.

Some engines work the opposite way where power must be constantly applied to the stop solenoid for the engine to run.

In your case turning the key to OFF activates a timer which sends power to stop the engine.

forum RTV 900 timer.jpg

forum RTV900 solenoid.jpg

There is a fuse #7, a 15 amp one which is the power to stop the engine. Check its condition.

The timer which sends power to the solenoid for 10 seconds is known to fail.

You could use a short piece of wire to provide battery power to the stop solenoid to cause the engine to stop.

There are many models of the RTV900 so please treat my comments as a bit generic and not specifically for your machine.

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
YES,,,, THIS...^^^^^^^^

(Great job, Dave_eng)

In a ”pinch” you could raise the bed and pull the Stop plunger by hand. It sits on top of the injector pump. If you felt “agricultural” (as the English say) you could rig a bowden* cable directly to the stop-lever and use that to kill it a-la early diesel tractors.

*(You know what a “bowden cable” is.... it’s that solid-wire inside a spiral-sheath throttle cable on your lawn mower.)

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Love the nomenclature..... (y) Instead of 'stuffing' the air intake, try a piece of flat wood to cover it. Much better.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I believe your machine is shut down by applying power to the engine stop solenoid for a few seconds until the engine comes to a stop.

Some engines work the opposite way where power must be constantly applied to the stop solenoid for the engine to run.

In your case turning the key to OFF activates a timer which sends power to stop the engine.

View attachment 50638
View attachment 50635

There is a fuse #7, a 15 amp one which is the power to stop the engine. Check its condition.

You could use a short piece of wire to provide battery power to the stop solenoid to cause the engine to stop.

There are many models of the RTV900 so please treat my comments as a bit generic and not specifically for your machine.

Dave
Dave is correct, RTV900 & RTV-X900 use the same Fuel shut off system.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

View attachment 50638
View attachment 50635

Dave
A question for you Dave. Could a weak battery also cause the same thing? If the engine RPM is low enough that the alternator is not pushing enough amperage to actuate the relay for the stop solenoid and the battery is weak, could that also be the problem?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A question for you Dave. Could a weak battery also cause the same thing? If the engine RPM is low enough that the alternator is not pushing enough amperage to actuate the relay for the stop solenoid and the battery is weak, could that also be the problem?
To answer your question, I have seen no data on stop solenoid requirements re volts and amps to base a decision on.

I can imagine a scenario where a charging system is not working.

To start the tractor the owner boosts the battery.

Assume the tractor has a mechanical lift pump or high fuel level in the tank thus not needing an electric fuel pump, the tractor runs for some time all the while the weak battery is getting weaker , when the key is finally turned to OFF the engine may not stop.

Dave

Reactions: 1 user