RPM for New L2501 For Mowing

North Texas Rich

Equipment
L2501
Sep 11, 2022
Near Dallas
Good Morning everybody,
Our new L2501 is scheduled to be delivered today.
Ive read that you should not run the engine at max RPM for 50 hours
I need to mow and PTO speed is 540 rpm. Is 2000 rpm for the new engine ok to run?

Reactions: 1 user

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
Double check you paperwork. I would expect your pto rpm is sever hundred rpm's below maximum. If so I would run at pto speed marked on your tachometer. Vary your rpm's occasionally.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Good Morning everybody,
Our new L2501 is scheduled to be delivered today.
Ive read that you should not run the engine at max RPM for 50 hours
I need to mow and PTO speed is 540 rpm. Is 2000 rpm for the new engine ok to run?
PTO RPM is fine.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’d run it at 2,200 RPM (2,105 = PTO). Maximum RPM is 2,400.

Mike

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
WOT. PTO RPM mark on the tachometer is where you should engage the PTO and the minimum you should run. As you put load on it (including just moving the tractor/ engaging HST), it will drop to PTO RPM, but if you start at PTO RPM, it will drop lower, which is bad. WOT is where the rate PTO HP is.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As I recall, my PTO rpm is 540 when the tractor is at 2000 rpm. That is NOT the maximum rpm for an L2501 so you should be good. I purchased my tractor to mow and have no idea what I would have used it for in the first fifty hours if I couldn't have mowed. Note that PTO for many tractors is around 2400. I think that's about max for the L2501. I like that it's not winding up as high as others to do the work.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I recommend that you ENGAGE the PTO at idle, then INCREASE the throttle to the indicator mark on the tachometer and ADJUST the throttle to MAINTAIN the correct PTO speed. When you stop mowing, reduce throttle to idle, then shut off PTO. Your equipment will last longer.

Reactions: 18 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
PTO speed is far enough below maximum engine RPM that running at the marked RPM for correct PTO speed is fine. What you don't want to do is break in under too much or too little load so don't just run it at high idle/no load for extended periods of time and avoid running it under so much load that it starts to bog down at all.

A mistake that is easy to make properly breaking in a diesel engine is running it under too little load. You need enough cylinder pressure developed for the proper ring to cylinder wall interface to develop and that won't happen when running constantly under very light load.

As others noted, you don't want to shock load the PTO system when engaging; with the Deere 955 I use for mowing I engage the PTO at about 60% of rated PTO RPM and then increase to rated. Too slow will bog the engine since you are too far down on the HP curve and with a bush hog it may not cause the blades to pivot out properly while too much RPM results in needless shock to the PTO driveline.

To disengage the implement, I drop the tractor to base idle first. This is particularly important with implements that have a lot of inertia if the PTO has a safety brake to stop the implement.

Rodger

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
With the L2501 HST (I assume yours is a HST due to your picture next to your screen name) there should not ever be any "shock load" engaging or dis-engaging the PTO due to having a clutch. When I engage my brush cutter I have my throttle set to about 1600 RPM, depress clutch , engage pto lever and gently let out the clutch. Once fully let out I increase engine rpm's to the bottom of the yellow 540 pto range and will adjust as needed depending on mowing conditions to keep in the yellow. When I dis-engage I idle back close to idle rpm, then quickly press in the clutch, waiting until the brush cutter stops and then dis-engage the PTO lever.

I remember watching a YouTube video of a fellow with a L2501 that was engaging and disengaging his PTO without depressing the clutch, boy was that ugly! lol.

And congrats on the new tractor purchase! :)(y)

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Congratulations. I’d recommend that before you get too happy with the throttle let it get up to temperature slowly. Sure it may burn a little extra fuel, but I don’t believe there is a benefit to the precision machined engine parts to go from cold to WOT…but once you get it warmed, have fun. 🥃

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
I run my mower just a tick under the 540 mark. I just like how tractor and mower runs there … and the grass can’t tell if it’s running at 520 or 540.
With analog gauges… the 540 mark is a best guess anyways.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I may be in the minority but if it were me I would run the engine at significantly less than 540 PTO rpm at least for the first couple hours, then gradually increase the RPM.

I don’t mean lug the engine by any means. It is just that you may have that tractor for decades. I have two decades on both of mine now. What does a reasonable slow start over a short period of time hurt in the long run? Might help, but shouldn’t hurt, as long as you do run the engine hard enough that you are not lugging it.

I think this is what I did, but it has been so long I don’t remember…

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Both rated and maximum RPM are fairly low on these types of diesel engines and running at/near rated RPM for the PTO shouldn't stress it during break-in as long as the load is sufficient but not greatly excessive.

I don't know about Kubota in particular but most engines get run up to rated RPM right after they come off the assembly line as part of the post-assembly testing so they aren't exactly treated gently. For cars and trucks today, following the break-in schedule is most important for the final drive assembly (rear axle/transaxle) which generates far more heat than normal during the initial few hours of operation. You don't want to run the engine at maximum load and certainly avoid "lugging" it always but especially in those first few hours but otherwise the key part of engine break-in is a reasonable warmup followed by operating it under enough sustained load to properly break in the ring/wall interface and avoiding wet stacking if trying to treat the new engine gently.

And you don't want to force a diesel engine beyond its rated RPM but rated RPM even with smaller diesels is usually in terms of the point where power drops off greatly/AFR becomes too sub-optimal due to air intake/turbo/injector/injection pump limitations instead of the floating valves/bending con rods that comes from significantly exceeding rated maximum RPM for the typical gas engine.

For example the 6.6L Duramax diesel in my GMC pickup has a rated RPM of 3450 under power with the torque peak at 1600 and HP peak at 2800 RPM; beyond 3450 power produced drops so rapidly that it would be counterproductive to run it beyond that RPM in order to achieve a more favorable RPM after an upshift. But the rotating assembly isn't bothered by considerably higher RPM and the ECM allows it to reach 4,800 RPM during engine braking by design.

I would much rather break in a new diesel engine at a point closer to its rated RPM than forcing it to produce too much power at lower RPM which will result in more load on the rotating assembly and cause much higher EGT. If I were mowing really heavy wet grass with a new machine, it would be a double pass with the deck raised on pass one to reduce the load. And given supply chain issues, I suspect more than one new owner has more grass height than they want/expected by the time the new machine arrives :(

Rodger

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've found out that cutting wet, tall grass needs far more HP (PTO RPMs ) than short ,dry grass so you may not need 540 speed let alone WOT (Wide Open Throttle ).
You should allow the new engine to get up to 'operating ' temperature before trying to hack down the weeds.....

North Texas Rich

Equipment
L2501
Sep 11, 2022
Near Dallas
Well I mowed about 6 acres around the house and pond. I cleaned the barn and I cleaned up a couple of the outdoor sheep/goat/horse poop piles and spread them around the 10 acres of pasture. 12 buckets full and I mowed all the way in and out of the pasture while I was taking the poop there. I have to mow about 8 more acres. I moved this huge heavy MDF cabinet/bench the previous owner left ih the garage with the pallet forks closer the where the dumpster will be dropped off. Im doing my best to follow the procedures I was taught at the drop off (more on that later). I haven’t killed my self or the tractor Yet lol. I kinda wish I had the top or the cabin with ac but $5k for the cabin will buy a lot of hats.lol.