Round bail with BX

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Nope. my wife raised Pecheron Draft horses. I didn't. I don't much care for horses, I prefer cattle myself. Cattle are income, horse are like boats, a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. Horses are just like boats but not in the water.....
I know two horse breeders. They are both multi-millionaires made from those "hole in the water" horses. One owns farms in NH, NJ and FL.

I guess it depends on how you do it. I can say they don't talk about "nags" much, maybe that is your problem?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You are a grumpy old fart aint ya
Not really, just stating it like it is with me. I had the not so pleasant experience of dealing with horsey people for about 10 years and was ready to quit the forage business and along came my present customer, out of the blue and now it's all good.

I'm still owed money from horsey people that I trusted to pay that never did and never will, Wrote that off as a bad debt and called it good.

No more whining and no more idiots trying to low ball me. Best of all, no more small square, labor intensive kicker bales to deal with.

I don't miss any of that crap.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Flip's experience is so common with horse people. They buy a horse and all of a sudden they are experts. I once had a lady tell me that my hay was no good. "It 's brown, my horses will not eat brown hay." I ask her what grass was in their pasture. She replied, Bahia. The very same grass that was in the bales. "Yours is brown, they will not eat it." She had no clue as I found out she was feeding horses kept in stalls straight alfalfa and grain. I am sure the horse would turn their noses at brown hay and quickly become ill and die from being feed such a rich diet. Fat horses die young too.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hell if I ever worried about all the cash I was owed but so called biker buddies and and so called hunting buddies that borrow ammo or a rifle and forgetting where it lives, well I would be bitter too. But ya let it go, and do COD and I never saw those guys again,, but they still owe me. One fella told me when I asked about paying me ,,well better to owe you than cheat you. Am I bitter about nope, just something to grow on,, just get over, it and dont bad mouth people and put them all in one group, the money is gone forget bout it

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hell if I ever worried about all the cash I was owed but so called biker buddies and and so called hunting buddies that borrow ammo or a rifle and forgetting where it lives, well I would be bitter too. But ya let it go, and do COD and I never saw those guys again,, but they still owe me. One fella told me when I asked about paying me ,,well better to owe you than cheat you. Am I bitter about nope, just something to grow on,, just get over, it and dont bad mouth people and put them all in one group, the money is gone forget bout it
Already have, long ago but I also learn from experience, why I don't deal with horsey people anymore.

I'm critical of horse people because most of them don't know good hay from Cheerio's. Said before, most horsey people think (wrongly) that if it's real green and the bales are heavy, it's good hay. Guess they like vet bills from colic.

I cannot bale wet hay with my round baler anyway. All high RM hay does is slip the belts and make a mess.

Had a guy approach me when I was sequestering round bales prior to my cattle guy picking them up. He said, those bales for sale? I said maybe. He said, 'I'll give you 50 bucks cash for each bale and I'll go get my GN and pick them up and pay in cash.' Told him I was already committed on all of them. Said if you change your mind, here is my number. He left and I wadded it up and tossed it. My customer paid 30 per, no issue. He knows there is little good second cut hay around here and was tickled to get them. Sure, I could have got 50 but I would be screwing him and I don't play that way, never have.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip's experience is so common with horse people. They buy a horse and all of a sudden they are experts. I once had a lady tell me that my hay was no good. "It 's brown, my horses will not eat brown hay." I ask her what grass was in their pasture. She replied, Bahia. The very same grass that was in the bales. "Yours is brown, they will not eat it." She had no clue as I found out she was feeding horses kept in stalls straight alfalfa and grain. I am sure the horse would turn their noses at brown hay and quickly become ill and die from being feed such a rich diet. Fat horses die young too.

When my wife raised Percheron's they were never stalled. They ran free range on the pastures all the time, winter and summer and had a large run in shed to get out of the weather if they wanted to. Only time they were stalled was for a vet appointment or if they were foaling and once the foal was able to stand and get around, mom and foal were back outside. All they ever got to eat was pasture and round bales in the winter and a mineral block to lick and of course fresh water in stock tanks.

I chuckle, people get a horse (or horses) and want to keep them inside a barn or if the go out, blanket them. Never seen a blanket on a wild Mustang or in a barn either. Horses prefer free range and mixed grass.

People build fancy barns and then the horses chew them up because they are bored and prefer being outside in the first place. Horses are very social animals, social with others like them, not humans.

My cattle get treated the same way. always outside but a run in shed is available, mineral lick, fresh water and round bales in the winter.

My philosophy is, if you want to have a horse for a pet, let them move inside the house with you. I'm sure your floor joists will enjoy the load... :p

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nawww,, no threats, no weapons drawn, just some good old boys havein a discussion :)

Orange4X4

Equipment
L2350DT with loader , 52" Taylor Way , Ratchet Rake , Land Pride post hole
Aug 12, 2018
Concordia, MO
I have a L2350DT and our round bales are the 4ft X 5ft range , I asked a tractor repair/implement supplier who sold me my 5' bush hog and he said he would not recommend a rear spike as the firther you get away from the rear of the tractor the weight of the bale increases the load at the 3pt hitch enough I would not be able to pick it up.
We have 6 horses and a shetland pony. I use my FEL to skid the bales on the ground to our feeder rings, then move the ring and push it over the bail.
Be careful lifting thr rings with the FEL as I've dented the grill on my tractor when it came off the ground and started swinging.