Rotella T6 synthetic oil

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I run it in all my small gas engines around here too
Yep only have 2 small gas engines now. My Honda walk behind mower and my Toro (POS) 724QXE snow blower. I hate that machine but I take care of it. I know I don't have to use the T-6 in those machines but it makes sense. to simply stock one type of engine oil (other than for my car which is a 0W-20 engine). I simply get the Kirkland synthetic for it when I am at Costco

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
While an Owner’s decision to add sea-foam …or any other after-market additive….on some imagined schedule that Owner believes to be beneficial… might make that person have a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling he’s done something good for his engine…..In Actual FAct…all that owner has done is UPSET the known-and-preferred composition/make-up of the lubrication-system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
While an Owner’s decision to add sea-foam …or any other after-market additive….on some imagined schedule that Owner believes to be beneficial… might make that person have a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling he’s done something good for his engine…..In Actual FAct…all that owner has done is UPSET the known-and-preferred composition/make-up of the lubrication-system.
Exactly!!!!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I need to dig up some old pistons that I have. They were run with Rotella 15w40 in a track day motor for about 40k. Granted, 40k miles isn't a lot, but it was almost always at 10‐ 15k rpm for those miles.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would replace the word "upset" with "changed". Upset has a negative connotation and it's not a fact that adding something to the engine oil is deleterious. I don't add anything to the crankcase other than oil for any engine I own, but I do put additives into the fuel system of those vehicles. I run Stanadyne in all diesels, and Yamalube fuel stabilizer and Yamalube ring free plus fuel additive in the outboards. I put StaBil in any gasoline that I use in chainsaws, log splitter, concrete mixer, lawn mower, or pressure washer. I only buy ethanol free gasoline for those engines.

Although I haven't seen a diesel engine manufacturer recommend a diesel fuel additive, Yamaha recommends Yamalube fuel additives be used with their engines. They also recommend a 10 micron fuel filter between the fuel tank and the engine.

We need to be honest about manufacturers in general and their recommendations. They will do enough to satisfy government regulations, reduce their liability and get the product through the warranty period, but nothing more.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I feel negatively about oil additives so I phrased it appropriately, IMO. ;)

Fuel additives are a different matter…also IMO… Stabil and Anti-biologicals and anti-gels (when appropriate) certainly have their places.

I also have a Yamaha…and discovered their “Ring Free” recommended fuel additive…is actually Chevron Techron “Marine”…..and buy it by the gallon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9F7T8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I feel negatively about oil additives so I phrased it appropriately, IMO. ;)

Fuel additives are a different matter…also IMO… Stabil and Anti-biologicals and anti-gels (when appropriate) certainly have their places.

I also have a Yamaha…and discovered their “Ring Free” recommended fuel additive…is actually Chevron Techron “Marine”…..and buy it by the gallon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9F7T8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Good tip ... thanks!

There's lots of "feel" when it comes to tractor, car, truck or boat ownership, and if someone likes to add Slick50 or whatever to their crankcase because they think it makes their tractor feel better, which makes them feel better than it's all good.

No amount of alcohol is good for us (supposedly), but if we "feel" better for it then it's not as simple as saying alcohol is bad.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I'm pretty sure I'd put Rotella T6 5W-40 on my pancakes before I'd put mystery "pancake syrup" on them. Real 100% maple syrup for me, and not in excessive quantities.

As for engines, I used to use Mobil 1 for years on various vehicles and initially on my F350 until Ford determined it didn't meet their specs at which point I switched to Rotella T6 which does meet the Ford spec. Years later with no issues and good results on the occasional oil analysis I have done, I've gone to just using Rotella T6 5W40 in pretty much everything around here.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
As for engines, I used to use Mobil 1 for years on various vehicles and initially on my F350 until Ford determined it didn't meet their specs at which point I switched to Rotella T6 which does meet the Ford spec. Years later with no issues and good results on the occasional oil analysis I have done, I've gone to just using Rotella T6 5W40 in pretty much everything around here.
Mobil 1 is not marketed as a HDEO. The Mobil 1 diesel oils are primarily intended for light duty passenger cars and vans.

Mobil Delvac is their HDEO line and has Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 approval. I would guess Mobil simply saw no need to pay Ford the extra money required to license the Mobil 1 oils.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Mobil 1 is not marketed as a HDEO. The Mobil 1 diesel oils are primarily intended for light duty passenger cars and vans.

Mobil Delvac is their HDEO line and has Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 approval. I would guess Mobil simply saw no need to pay Ford the extra money required to license the Mobil 1 oils.

Dan
I don't think that Mobil has to pay to "license" the use of the Ford spec, they simply have to pay Ford to test the oil and obtain a letter stating that the oil meets Ford's standards.

I'm in the Mobil 1 fan club, and to be honest, only got into Schaeffer because the company that made my chip and programmer specifically recommended it. 5W-40 is a better fit for my environment, and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is quite a bit cheaper at around 75% of the cost of Schaeffer, so might be a candidate soon.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't think that Mobil has to pay to "license" the use of the Ford spec, they simply have to pay Ford to test the oil and obtain a letter stating that the oil meets Ford's standards.
That is the very definituon of licensing. In this case Mobil pays for testing (pribably third party) that allows them to put the Ford approval mark on their product labels. Same as API licensing and a lot of other OEM specifications.

Another fairly recent example is Mobil's decision to forgoe the cost of new testing when BMW issued an update to their Long Life specification. Rather than spend the money to retest an akready apprived formulation they removed the BMW Long Life mark from the label but kept the VW approval that did not change. I am quite confident its still a long life oil and it still goes into both pf my BMWs.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That is the very definituon of licensing.
Not in my world. The company I work for licenses features along with trademarks. Paying someone to test your product and obtain confirmation that the product meets some criteria is not licensing.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not in my world. The company I work for licenses features along with trademarks. Paying someone to test your product and obtain confirmation that the product meets some criteria is not licensing.
Then you need to expand your horizons. The API, ILSAC, ACEA, and OEMs maintain and operate a massive engine oil licensing program that does exactly that.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Then you need to expand your horizons. The API, ILSAC, ACEA, and OEMs maintain and operate a massive engine oil licensing program that does exactly that.

Dan
There is no contract or agreement between Ford and Mobil, simply a test that results in Ford saying that Mobil's oil either passes or fails a set of tests. Mobil pays Ford to test their oil and that's it. Mobil isn't selling an oil that Ford developed or manufacturers.

Licensing involves a contract, not merely paying for a service.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
There is no contract or agreement between Ford and Mobil, simply a test that results in Ford saying that Mobil's oil either passes or fails a set of tests. Mobil pays Ford to test their oil and that's it. Mobil isn't selling an oil that Ford developed or manufacturers.

Licensing involves a contract, not merely paying for a service.
I guess you did not read the link.

Dan

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm so confused now.

I just need someone to confirm that my gambit of purchasing the most expensive engine oil not only provides the most protection for my BX23S lawn mower but also gives me license to browbeat anyone whom uses an economic lubricant that still satisfies OEM grade and API service metrics.

Canna has, plz?

edit: the browbeating part is the most important to me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm so confused now.

I just need someone to confirm that my gambit of purchasing the most expensive engine oil not only provides the most protection for my BX23S lawn mower but also gives me license to browbeat anyone that uses an economic lubricant that still satisfies OEM grade and API service metrics.

Canna has, plz?
Interestingly Ford seems to have decided to save a little money and skip API licensing for their diesel engine oil. No sign of any API certification on the label. Its not an API licensed product so dont put this in that high dollar Kubota lawnmower if you value your warranty....

Dan

1000002538.jpg

1000002537.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm so confused now.

I just need someone to confirm that my gambit of purchasing the most expensive engine oil not only provides the most protection for my BX23S lawn mower but also gives me license to browbeat anyone that uses an economic lubricant that still satisfies OEM grade and API service metrics.

Canna has, plz?

edit: the browbeating part is the most important to me.
This is the only thing you should ever use. Look at all of those OEM appovals. Cost Shell a lot to put that on the label so you know its good stuff...

Dan

1000002540.jpg

1000002539.jpg

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Its not an API licensed product so dont put this in that high dollar Kubota lawnmower if you value your warranty....

Dan
two things:

1) it bears the PowderStroke icon. Compelling.

2) it bears iconography of my favorite race car: the GT 40. Very compelling.

RESULT: I must has. I'm draining the Kubota OEM engine lubricant immediately and moving post-haste to my nearest FoMoCo service dept.