Rotary Cutter Float?

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
The Manual for my RCR1860 says that the arm lift rods on the tractor 3 point hitch should be adjusted to allow for "lateral float". Can someone explain that to me and how to do that? I'm thinking that means that the RCR1860 should be able to move from side to side somewhat so don't cinch the arms too tight so they can move from side to side (but don't allow them to hit the tires).

Am I on the right track?

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Yes, the turnbuckle chains or adjustable bars should allow the mower to move side to side a few inches but not let the lower arms contact the rear tire

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Did that one time on the 1st tractor and bent the adjustable bars and the rod on what they and the lower lift arms are connected to. You want the RC to be tight to eliminate most side-to-side movement.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The Manual for my RCR1860 says that the arm lift rods on the tractor 3 point hitch should be adjusted to allow for "lateral float". Can someone explain that to me and how to do that? I'm thinking that means that the RCR1860 should be able to move from side to side somewhat so don't cinch the arms too tight so they can move from side to side (but don't allow them to hit the tires).

Am I on the right track?
If you have telescoping sway bars, placing the pin into the slotted hold will allow a few inches of side to side movement. If you have turnbuckle style, you will need to leave each a bit loose.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I don't speak fluent Kubota yet (still waiting for my order to be delivered) but with my Deere 955, lateral float refers to independent up and down movement between the connection to the two side lift arms so that one side of the implement can float over a limited range independently of the other.

I use the float setting with my bush hog so that when the skid hits something on one side, only that side will lift instead of the entire implement "floating" up. For things like the rear blade when you want to cut a level surface, you want the no lateral float position so that one side can't move up independently of the other.

I like to keep just a little slack in the side sway chains on my Deere, enough to allow the implement to move a little bit if it hits an obstruction but not enough slack that it can sway side to side (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play). I don't use a quick hitch so I have the sway set loose for easy attachment and then once the three point and PTO is attached, I lift the implement off the ground and adjust the chains so that it is centered with just a little slack.

Rodger