ROPS. ?

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Well I took the top half of the ROPS bar off my new 1880, because it was very hard if not impossible trying to fold it to the down position I was going to apply some grease to the inside of the bars where it slides over the bottom uprights on either side of the machine. Got it off ok, but now having trouble trying to get it to reattach. Is there any trick to it ?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well I took the top half of the ROPS bar off my new 1880, because it was very hard if not impossible trying to fold it to the down position I was going to apply some grease to the inside of the bars where it slides over the bottom uprights on either side of the machine. Got it off ok, but now having trouble trying to get it to reattach. Is there any trick to it ?
Loosen the 4 14mm headed bolts at the bottom so you can get some play out of the lower towers.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Loosen the 4 14mm headed bolts at the bottom so you can get some play out of the lower towers.
White tiger, Thank you, I will try it tomorrow. I am going to need a hand four sure. Trying to line it up,hold it in place and get the bolt through is a two man job.. Luckily I have a friend who is stopping by tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
use 2 smaller bolts, drifts, screwdrivers..anything but fingers, (one for each side) to use as temporary 'bolts'. That way you don't have to 'hold,align and screw' at the same time. I used big drifts in the upper holes when I did my BX23S ROPS mod 2 years ago.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I keep mine at 45 degrees: low enough to fit underneath garage doors but high enough to work as ROPS.
That's fine, but I wish that you would quit suggesting this unsafe practice. The ROPS will not protect as designed in this weak position.

Reactions: 2 users

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
That's fine, but I wish that you would quit suggesting this unsafe practice. The ROPS will not protect as designed in this weak position.
Guys, Thanks again. I have not attempted to reinstall it yet.,but l will say it a PITA to get back in place. A two man job..

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Guys, Thanks again. I have not attempted to reinstall it yet.,but l will say it a PITA to get back in place. A two man job..
Follow Whitetiger's advice, it will make the job easier for sure.

And using smaller pins to hold the top section in place while you fiddle with it will probably help too. EVEN with two guys...I do almost everything by myself, so understand the importance of using whatever tricks help.

TheMurf

Equipment
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Follow Whitetiger's advice, it will make the job easier for sure.

And using smaller pins to hold the top section in place while you fiddle with it will probably help too. EVEN with two guys...I do almost everything by myself, so understand the importance of using whatever tricks help.
Guys, Using two long flat bladed ends on two ply bars, l loosened the 14mm bolts at the bottom of the uprights and was able to get them to move inward on each side which made alignment at the top on each much easier.. Now it's not so much of an issue to install. Some white lithium grease on the uprights at the pivot points helps a lot too.. Once again thanks for your expertise and help. Much appreciated..

Last edited: