Robin's. Who's got them?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The robins have not got their relocation papers for here yet, I think it's still too cold, and there is still a couple feet of snow in my yard.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It’s late and I haven’t seen any this year. It’s been snowing, raining, and sleeting nearly every day for weeks now. They might have a bird brain, but they aren’t stupid.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You want robins?
I'll gladly give you the SOB that starts an hour or so of non-stop squawking at 5:00AM in the tree next to my bedroom window. I have over 80 trees on my property, and he has to pick this one. It's a good thing they're protected, or he'd have been dead a couple of weeks ago, well, actually a couple of years ago.

Reactions: 1 user

hoot owl

Equipment
L2501 with loader and backhoe
Nov 13, 2022
We had flocks of them all winter. I haven't seen any in several days. We don't have many over the summer because of all of the woods here but all winter they are all over the place.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You want robins?
I'll gladly give you the SOB that starts an hour or so of non-stop squawking at 5:00AM in the tree next to my bedroom window. I have over 80 trees on my property, and he has to pick this one. It's a good thing they're protected, or he'd have been dead a couple of weeks ago, well, actually a couple of years ago.
Hey - 5 am is the start of the day!! Get over it!

Just poking fun, I start at 5am and sometimes complain when windows are open and there’s lots of noise at 8:30 pm….😉

Either way, I’ll take bird noises over howling winds during the winter and no critter noises…🥺

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yep, Robins are here along with Bluebirds. I freakin' LOVE Bluebirds and hate the European, lazy arsed starlings. I shoot those on sight! They lay eggs in Bluebird's nests which then hatch before the Bluebird's eggs. The hatchlings then proceed to eat the Bluebird eggs! We get Western and Mountain Bluebirds here.

I repurposed an old wooden feeder I found on the ground when I bought this place in 2014. I added sides, a front and a back and have had Bluebirds nest in this box year after year, sometimes two different pairs in a season. I have Flickers and Spotted Woodpeckers too and they mess up the front door of the box so I need to make a new front this week.

1.jpg

3.jpg

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I freakin' LOVE Bluebirds and hate the European, lazy arsed starlings. I shoot those on sight!
Starlings can't get in a Bluebird nest box if the opening is 1 1/2 to 1 9/16 which is the recommended size. But, there are plenty of other reason to shoot Starlings. ;)

English Sparrows are the invasive species that cause the most issues with Bluebirds. Shoot them, too! Don't confuse them with House Finches though.

IAkubotaGuy

Equipment
B2601
Mar 26, 2023
Iowa
Starlings can't get in a Bluebird nest box if the opening is 1 1/2 to 1 9/16 which is the recommended size. But, there are plenty of other reason to shoot Starlings. ;)

English Sparrows are the invasive species that cause the most issues with Bluebirds. Shoot them, too! Don't confuse them with House Finches though.
Thanks for the info, I’ll start shooting them.