Rim Job

Some Guy

New member

Equipment
L3710
Apr 27, 2015
11
0
1
South county RI
Hi guys, I'm new here and I could use some advice. I've got a L3710 with a bad rear rim. It's got a 17.5l-24 firestone ag tire on it and I can't figure out the rim size. Measuring it I get 16/26 or if I measure to the bevel I get 16/24. Anybody know which is right? And does anyone know where to get rims for a good price?

Thanks,

Some Guy
 

Diydave

New member

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
1,635
11
0
Gambrills, MD USA
Sounds like a 15 or 16-24 is the right rim size. You can generally get blank rims, but you'd need to torch out the center to weld into the new rim. Sometimes a good welder can repair a rusty rim, by cutting out the holey section(s) and weld in other metal, from a donor rim. Have you got any tractor boneyards near you? 24" is a popular size...:D
 

Some Guy

New member

Equipment
L3710
Apr 27, 2015
11
0
1
South county RI
Hey Dave thanks for the help. I'm off to the boneyard to see what I can find.

One more question, my tires are filled with calcium chloride would that be what's rotting my rims out?
 

jerry746

New member
Apr 3, 2015
7
0
0
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Dave thanks for the help. I'm off to the boneyard to see what I can find.

One more question, my tires are filled with calcium chloride would that be what's rotting my rims out?
The only proper way to put Calcium chloride in a tire is to install a tube first. If yours are tubeless it will surely eat out the metal rim. Even with a tube, if you develop a leak it starts rusting quickly. Dealers are using stuff called RIM GUARD which I think is made from beet juice in tubeless tires thats suppose to be metal friendly but I still think tubes are the best choice with any liquid weight. Had Calcuim in my JD for over 20 years with no problems.
 

Diydave

New member

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
1,635
11
0
Gambrills, MD USA
Thanks Jerry, gonna go with foam filled/ fever flat after I find new to me rims.
Something like this http://www.petestire.com/tire-flatproofing.shtml.
Any thoughts?
Problem with FFtires is that there is no pressure adjustment possible. And the FF tire dealers require filling a brand new tire for warranty. And they tend to only stock one hardness of foam. (at least around here) Like riding around on steel wheels...:D