Right to Repair

Pony Doc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
SSV75 Kioti LK3054 Oliver 1250
Dec 15, 2020
Central Colorado
Colorado legislature passed and the Govenor signed the right to repair act. It's ostensibly aimed at farm equipment operators but may effect us all. Like most legislation it will probably have positive and negative effects. Apparently several states are considering similar measures.

Reactions: 2 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I’m assuming this is about the computers that are on the tractors. Just curious about the specifics of the law. Does this mean the oem has to make the diagnostic equipment available? I hate to think of what the price is going to be. Or does this mean they have to make the software available? And I am sure there will be a hefty price tag as well. You know the manufacturers are going to go down swinging.

Did the John Deere lawsuit ever get settled?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I’m assuming this is about the computers that are on the tractors. Just curious about the specifics of the law. Does this mean the oem has to make the diagnostic equipment available? I hate to think of what the price is going to be. Or does this mean they have to make the software available? And I am sure there will be a hefty price tag as well. You know the manufacturers are going to go down swinging.

From the new KUBOTAUSA website. Looks like something north of $5K for KOBD license + scan tool and Messicks still says dealers only.

Dan

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO

If the market is big enough, aftermarket companies can start to provide tools like are available for cars. I've had aftermarket computer tools that replicate the dealer tools for ~20 years, to service VA/Audi cars, and similar are available for other manufacturers.

The manufacturers' doom-and-gloom arguments against this are complete horseshit. If they are forced to disclose some IP they didn't want to, it's entirely their own fault for forcing owners into this regulatory solution. If they had been a little bit reasonable then it probably would never have come to this.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
From the new KUBOTAUSA website. Looks like something north of $5K for KOBD license + scan tool and Messicks still says dealers only.

Dan
even so I think a great step in the right direction.

$5k is cheap for a commercial farmer running $1million dollar combines. heck even an M8 Kubota is a 1/4 mill. now. Down time is a killer.

If not farming that scale then maybe independent repair shops will find it useful.

for sure not for the guy playing around a few acres with a 25hp machine. too expensive.

But like wheel lifts / frame lifts / pits .... not many people can warrant in their garage but independent repair shops couldn't survive without.

its going to open up a lot more options and competition in the service and repair arena. I think businesses should make good / strong profits but also believe in fair competition.

I think its a good thing.

The government pushed the high tech / high cost stuff like def / dpf for environmental reasons they say and now they are catching up trying to allow us to service this stuff as well.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
even so I think a great step in the right direction.

$5k is cheap for a commercial farmer running $1million dollar combines. heck even an M8 Kubota is a 1/4 mill. now. Down time is a killer.

If not farming that scale then maybe independent repair shops will find it useful.

for sure not for the guy playing around a few acres with a 25hp machine. too expensive.

But like wheel lifts / frame lifts / pits .... not many people can warrant in their garage but independent repair shops couldn't survive without.

its going to open up a lot more options and competition in the service and repair arena. I think businesses should make good / strong profits but also believe in fair competition.

I think its a good thing.

The government pushed the high tech / high cost stuff like def / dpf for environmental reasons they say and now they are catching up trying to allow us to service this stuff as well.
It may be a popular narrative but its naive to blame the government. Computer engine and powertrain management is an engineering fact of life with or without environmental regulations.

Dan