Riding Mowers: supply chain issues. NONE AVAILABLE!

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
Live in central Oregon. Local dealer says he hasn't seen any for months, also not expecting any until end of year but not sure that even will get delivery next year!?! WTF is going on. have about an acre of grass and some tall fescue to try and keep knocked down. Looking for recommendations I like the diesels but 12.5g for mower with bagger seems a bit too expensive. There is a guy locally selling older TG1860 diesel for 3,500 with 500hrs on it. Thinking maybe will have to get somethin used in this crazy market....

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Live in central Oregon. Local dealer says he hasn't seen any for months, also not expecting any until end of year but not sure that even will get delivery next year!?! WTF is going on. have about an acre of grass and some tall fescue to try and keep knocked down. Looking for recommendations I like the diesels but 12.5g for mower with bagger seems a bit too expensive. There is a guy locally selling older TG1860 diesel for 3,500 with 500hrs on it. Thinking maybe will have to get somethin used in this crazy market....
If the power assist steering works and the HST is solid, snap up that TG....it's a good deal !

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
If the power assist steering works and the HST is solid, snap up that TG....it's a good deal !
Any specific tests or things I should do when test driving it to figure that out? I could probably haul off to dealer and have them evaluate it... but was hoping that maybe just test driving and looking at things I could see if it works well or not... thoughts?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Neil from Messicks had a video very recently on supply chain. Basically came down to that the mowers with higher end parts on them (aka made in America) have a bit of supply. The mowers that are hitting a price point are having problems sourcing things like bearings from China.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Are you looking for a diesel or Kubota specifically? I ask because every big box around me has riders up the wazoo. Even "boutique" places have Deere, Gravely and Husky lined up. Granted they are all Kohler or Kawi gasser motors bit still.

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
Are you looking for a diesel or Kubota specifically? I ask because every big box around me has riders up the wazoo. Even "boutique" places have Deere, Gravely and Husky lined up. Granted they are all Kohler or Kawi gasser motors bit still.
was looking for Kubota first, because they have solid service center near by, then diesel. There is also a Deere service center also.... Mostly considering one of those two. Im not a huge fan of the gassers, but if I have to get a gasser, I think the kawi are the most reliable of the bunch.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeesh, $3500 for a 20 year old,18HP rider seems kinda pricey... so what's a NEW one, if available, go for 'out the door' ?
Dealer where I bought my BX23S said to NOT buy a diesel rider(any of them..) as they're way overpriced for the job they do..cut grass.
I've always had used,abused gassers for the past 35 years. Current rider is a 20 yr old Cub cadet (MTD really ). NOT going to win the beauty contest,but original deck still cuts grass fine,even mowed down Winter rye in 1/3ac veggy patch. Service ? clean btm of deck,sharpen blades 1-2 a year, oil filter change every 5 years,maybe.
Everyone has their favorites but think of the options

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
was looking for Kubota first, because they have solid service center near by, then diesel. There is also a Deere service center also.... Mostly considering one of those two. Im not a huge fan of the gassers, but if I have to get a gasser, I think the kawi are the most reliable of the bunch.
I gotta agree with Jay; a diesel rider is overkill. I know ZTRs are all the rage and are well priced these days. A $3500 new Cub will cut the grass as well as (or better) than a $3500 diesel. And probably be less problems.
The Kawi commercial grade motors are great power plants made in Missouri. So are Kohlers. They come out of Mississippi. Not sure where my 22 year old Kohler powered Craftsman was built but it still goes strong.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I love my TG1860 for a few reasons.
-Diesel...(burns less fuel than a gasser)
-Has lotsa grunt to yank trees, pull trailers etc
-and the #1 reason I love it...It does not kill my back to mow my bumpy 2acres.

The "rider station" (or whatever the cool kids are calling it these days) is on a giant platform and is suspended on 2 small "mini-bike" type shocks, so if you have any back problems at all, this is a godsend. truly. I don't know of any other Kubota mowers that have this, nor any big box gassers that have this, nor any mowers I can buy from ANYWHERE within 200miles from me.

If your lawn is dead smooth like a putting-green or you already have a tractor and only wanna mow, yeah, $3500 may not be the best deal in town.

My dealer is amazed that my power assist steering and hydrostatic transmission are still going.(steering a known issue, but I've never had a problem and HST's are $5000 or whatever to replace and not really fixable)
I have 958hrs on it and it's aprox 20yrs old (I think).

Reactions: 1 user

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
yeesh, $3500 for a 20 year old,18HP rider seems kinda pricey... so what's a NEW one, if available, go for 'out the door' ?
Dealer where I bought my BX23S said to NOT buy a diesel rider(any of them..) as they're way overpriced for the job they do..cut grass.
I've always had used,abused gassers for the past 35 years. Current rider is a 20 yr old Cub cadet (MTD really ). NOT going to win the beauty contest,but original deck still cuts grass fine,even mowed down Winter rye in 1/3ac veggy patch. Service ? clean btm of deck,sharpen blades 1-2 a year, oil filter change every 5 years,maybe.
GR2120 with 3 bagger system was about $12,500 on kubota site new. this is IF they get them in stock this year or next. Kubota is also now NOT guaranteeing price at signing... meaning if between you signing and actual delivery the price goes up a few thousand... you are now on the hook for that price increase. ALSO, they are not honoring current interest rate commitments due to freq fed increases of rates. So if you think you are locked at 4.99% or whatever, by the time its delivered, could be 7-8% interest.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
20 years old! Man that’s almost new. Picked up an AC 916 for $400 from the son of the original owner. Put 2 new belts on and new deck wheels. It is for the leaf vac and firewood hauling and backup should the BX2680 goes down for any reason. Had a Cub 782 and Deere 400 as backup prior. Like the mid 80 mowers.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I wish I had the money for a decent zero turn. The old cub cadet 1450 does just fine, even if painfully slow to mow with. Old k-series kohler has never given me grief. Then again neither has my 582 or 782....

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It wont be long until Oregon forces Electric only riding mowers. You can head them off by getting one of the Ryobi zero turns from Home Depot!

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Just picked up an Ariens IKON XD ZT. They retail for $3700 and are in supply at local to you Lowes. One engine choice is the Kawasaki FR961 with 23hp it’s a great little motor.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I wish I had the money for a decent zero turn. The old cub cadet 1450 does just fine, even if painfully slow to mow with. Old k-series kohler has never given me grief. Then again neither has my 582 or 782....
If you can swing the cost for a new SCAG Liberty Z, it is really a good deal for an almost commercial quality zero turn.
Mine has the Kawasaki, but I am not sure that is still available.
I love mine........but the seat quality/comfort needs an upgrade.
I did that.

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
If you can swing the cost for a new SCAG Liberty Z, it is really a good deal for an almost commercial quality zero turn.
Mine has the Kawasaki, but I am not sure that is still available.
I love mine........but the ride quality needs an upgrade.
I did that.
I got too spoiled with the pro model exmarks, scaggs and those fully suspended Farris mowers when I worked at the township lol. Really made it hard to look at the cheaper models. I'm in no hurry, to upgrade atm. Getting a shop built has become a priority for me.