Replacing L285 water pump?

coss

Apr 27, 2013
Albany, NY
This is a first post from a new member.

I am considering buying an L285 that has a leaky water pump. How difficult is this for an owner to replace? (I'm not a mechanic, but as a benchmark of my abilities, I can replace a head gasket on a Gravely L.)

Am I correct in assuming that I'd also need to remove the radiator, and that it would be wise to replace the upper and lower hoses and the fan belt at the same time, while I have it apart? Any other tricks or special tools needed?

If I had a dealer do the repair, how much might it cost?

Thanks for the help.

Coss

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You would want to do a new thermostat too. Buy good coolant, not the green stuff. Zerex G05 is a 5 year coolant or they make a red coolant for diesel trucks. 50/50 mix. After you pull the radiator it is easy to get to. Be careful with any 10 mm head-6 mm shank bolts. If they start to bind coming out then take your time running them in and out little by little so you don't break them off. Use anti seize on the threads when going back together and tighten them carefully. Power rinse the engine block.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
This is a first post from a new member.

I am considering buying an L285 that has a leaky water pump. How difficult is this for an owner to replace? (I'm not a mechanic, but as a benchmark of my abilities, I can replace a head gasket on a Gravely L.)

Am I correct in assuming that I'd also need to remove the radiator, and that it would be wise to replace the upper and lower hoses and the fan belt at the same time, while I have it apart? Any other tricks or special tools needed?

If I had a dealer do the repair, how much might it cost?

Thanks for the help.

Coss
Hi Coss while you have the rad out you might consider taking it to a rad repair shop and having it cleaned properly before reinstalling it.