Replace "every 4 years" maintenance

dje

Equipment
BX23S
May 30, 2023
Vancouver Island, Canada
I recently bought a 2017 BX23S with 110 hours on it. Looking at the operator's manual I see a number of service intervals that say "replace every 4 years", such as:
- radiator hose & clamp
- power steering oil line
- fuel line
- etc

Is it really necessary to replace these every 4 years, or is it sufficient to just check them regularly for issues?

Thanks.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I recently bought a 2017 BX23S with 110 hours on it. Looking at the operator's manual I see a number of service intervals that say "replace every 4 years", such as:
- radiator hose & clamp
- power steering oil line
- fuel line
- etc

Is it really necessary to replace these every 4 years, or is it sufficient to just check them regularly for issues?

Thanks.
On my BX I didn't replace, I just inspected. When you do that, you need to be aware that they could break at an inopportune time (so not a good idea if you use your tractor to earn a living, but fine on a weekend machine), and might do some damage when they break if you don't notice. Obviously a fuel line you'd notice if it was leaking, and you'd notice if your power steering stopped working. Arguably you could have a leaking radiator hose and not notice, and lose cooling.

I think it's like everything, it's easier for them to say replace than to say "depends on how you store it, how you use it, how you treat it". Liability and all that stuff. I have no idea what would wear out on a radiator hose clamp, for example.

My B2601 is only 2 years old. I guess I have to make a decision when I get to 4 years, but I can't see that I'd be replacing things. I store it inside, they still look like new.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hey All,
4 years can be an incredibly long time for a machine that gets run hard everyday. I think Paul's @PaulL second paragraoh hits the nail on the head.

If you go with "inspect" you could look for cracking on hoses for example or loose clamps, or leaks here and there. Generally at least a cursory inspection should be performed before you use it next time anyway.

For aircraft, each type has a checklist that is used in the "walk-around" or pre-flight phase. Things like oil level. gas level, leaks, low tires, and so on - you could create one for yourself.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Its their estimate of mean time to failure for normal service items and is intended to minimize the chances of what the auto industry calls "walk home" failures. Feel free to roll the dice - many people do.

Dan

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The expiration date is the biggest driver of all commerce...prove me wrong. Want to boost sales of a particular product? Print an expiration date on it.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, 'Best before dates' are a great SCAM ! I know one person and she probably tosses out 14 to 1/3rd of her $$$ food all the time. She buys in bulk (COSTCO ) but can't eat it all fast enough before she buys even more of it..... Odds are pretty good she's not the only one doing it either....

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Thanks.
Inspecting is a good idea for sure.

Just for reference, my truck is 17 years old and I still have the original power steering hoses and fuel lines on it.

No problems so far.

I have changed the belt a few times due to cracking which was found during my oil change inspection, and the radiator hoses once, but only cause the radiator leaked and I decided to error on the side of caution and replace them while I had it apart.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
yes, 'Best before dates' are a great SCAM ! I know one person and she probably tosses out 14 to 1/3rd of her $$$ food all the time. She buys in bulk (COSTCO ) but can't eat it all fast enough before she buys even more of it..... Odds are pretty good she's not the only one doing it either....
There are LOTS of people that do that.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of 5 people I know who do this.

Hell, I got a friend that tosses stuff the day before it expires.

I keep things it until they start growing a fur coat.

Eggs stay good for 2 months past their sell by date.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My circa-1996 M4700 is still operating with its’ original hoses, clamps, oil lines, tires, …and as far as I know…. coolant. I plan to change the coolant shortly…and am wondering if I shouldn’t also change all the hoses after 26 years…. :ROFLMAO:

( I figure I’ll lose the water pump shortly thereafter.) :rolleyes:

<edit> (The little sticker on the WalMart Easy-Start Battery tells me the PO changed it 4/18….about a week before I bought it. The fact that battery died a week after I bought it told me why. The alternator only put out 11 volts and the seller wanted to hide that info. He also removed the charge-warning lamp co-located with the fuel-level warning.
After reading the manual, replacing the lamp & alternator I also added an ammeter to the lower panel.)
PS: After charging…that WM Easy-Start battery is still going strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The expiration date is the biggest driver of all commerce...prove me wrong. Want to boost sales of a particular product? Print an expiration date on it.
My 2006 L48 TLB came to me in 2019, with 251 hours.
Until 2019 it had lived outside (inside now)
17 years old, to date, nothing has been replaced, except fluids, filters, and battery.

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My circa-1996 M4700 is still operating with its’ original hoses, clamps, oil lines, tires, …and as far as I know…. coolant. I plan to change the coolant shortly…and am wondering if I shouldn’t also change all the hoses after 26 years…. :ROFLMAO:

( I figure I’ll lose the water pump shortly thereafter.) :rolleyes:

<edit> (The little sticker on the WalMart Easy-Start Battery tells me the PO changed it 4/18….about a week before I bought it. The fact that battery died a week after I bought it told me why. The alternator only put out 11 volts and the seller wanted to hide that info. He also removed the charge-warning lamp co-located with the fuel-level warning.
After reading the manual, replacing the lamp & alternator I also added an ammeter to the lower panel.)
PS: After charging…that WM Easy-Start battery is still going strong.
Walmart brand = "EverStart"
"EverStart Maxx" is their best.

Last edited:

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
In this area you'll see 50+ y/o tractors still running with their original hydraulic and steering hoses. And on the other extreme, a local recently bought a grapple attachment off the Internet, and the Chinesium hoses were leaking within a week.

So as others advised, monitor the ones you have. If there's no obvious weathering or seeping I'd run them.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I check my belts and hoses each service and only replace if I find an issue i.e. worn, cracked, brittle, frayed, delaminating, ...

Fluids and filters get changed as per the service interval suggestions. Cheaper than buying new equipment. Cheap insurance too.