Removing tines from tiller?

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
I have the opportunity to pickup a 5' Countyline tiller for food plots. I know it's too much for my B7100hst, but I've also read about removing tines to make it useable. I like this idea since I am also looking to purchase a 40-50hp farm/utility tractor in the near future, which would then utilize the tiller (with all the tines). Any thoughts or guidance on removing one set of tines from the 5' which would leave the same number as the 4' version? Thanks!

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
It will weigh more and you'll be 6 inches further from the edge than you'd be with a 4 footer.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’m not sure that is the best idea, you will be cutting down the pto shaft to fit your small B7100, it is unlikely to fit a 40 hp tractor. The performance of the tiller will be poor with only half the blades. Better to buy and wait for your next tractor or buy correct size for current tractor.

another question would be what acreage of foot plots and what type of ground, has it been tilled before.

I run a 54” tiller on a L3200 or L3901, tillers need hp!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
There is no reason you could not remove the tines from the ends of the shaft. I would reinstall the bolts back into the holes as you remove the tines. Just to keep any type of wear to the holes so that you can reinstall the tines when you get the larger tractor. I would remove both ends so there is no undue stress to the axle or bearings of the tiller.

Reactions: 1 users

Toyman

Equipment
B7100HST, 1630, 4' Tiller, 4' Rotary Mower; M4050 (SOLD) Woods Cadet 84
Apr 15, 2019
Pittsburgh
Wow, what I mess. I didn't consider the PTO shaft in my master plan. I ended up ordering the 4' tiller. I need to get my food plots tilled. I had a Cub Cadet 982 with a rear pto tiller that did a reasonable job, but decided to sell it last year to fund one for the B7100. Did good on the sale, and then just recently sold the 982 and did really well. With that I decided to start looking at a 40-50hp utility/farm tractor and a 5'-6' tiller. Had my eyes on a couple tractors, but they all fell thru for one reason or another. So I put myself in the position that I didn't even have the ability to work the land for the new food plots I cut last week. (1.5-2 acres) Decided to get a 4' tiller, but they are all out of stock (go ahead and look :)) Crazy. My farm is pretty remote and there is no one to hire to prep. Anyway, the good is I (hopefully) found a 4' tiller and ordered it. It is supposed to be delivered on 4/1 and I still have leftover money to put towards a tractor when I find the right one, and I'll be able to get my work done. Prob lose a couple hundred $$ if I sell the 4' tiller and get a 5' or 6', but, oh well, it's all done now. Thanks for the responses.