Removing sod with subsoiler and FEL

Tbucket32

Equipment
B7500
Jul 6, 2019
Puslinch,Ontario Canada
I have a section of sod I need to remove to put up a small building. I've read that a FEL isn't very effective for removing sod. So I was thinking, what if I used the subsoiler set 4" deep and cut a grid pattern like you would when you remove sod with a shovel, then used the FEL to lift the sod. Anyone ever try this?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sod ?? in Puslinch ?? I've only ever seen 'Puslinch Potatoes' up there !!!Even tranpsorted 15 tons of them to decorate my front hill.
I'd probably go 8" deep with the subsoiler, try to cut 'bucket sized rectangles' pattern. Scoop one out, place on next sod section in front , scoop those 2 , put on 3rd, then remove from location.. should be fairly efficent process.
Jay

Tbucket32

Equipment
B7500
Jul 6, 2019
Puslinch,Ontario Canada
Thanks for the replies. I thought it might work...basically the same technique you would use if hand digging just on a larger, less back breaking scale!

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Thanks for the replies. I thought it might work...basically the same technique you would use if hand digging just on a larger, less back breaking scale!

Subsoiler works great braking it up. I was even ripping 5" roots no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've successfully used my box blade with the ripper teeth lowered fully to get through the sod at my place otherwise I'm just scraping off the green stuff. The spacing on the ripper teeth tends to break up the soil quite well and you can either use the box to pull it to the side or come in and scoop with the FEL