Removal of timing gear case cover on Kubota L345

ove

Equipment
L345
Feb 9, 2012
Andøy, Nordland, Norway
Hi!

I have a Kubota L345 which has oil in radiator, and radiator in oil, pretty much identical to this problem: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/found-oil-in-your-coolant/

Now, the water leak is MASSIVE, I can pour in 3 L water in the radiator, and it will run out from the oil drain plug under the oil pan in about 30 seconds (yes, the water will come running out from the oil-drain-plug), so I am pretty sure it is not a motor block crack, or gaskets, I think only a frost plug can make this happen.

I have inspected the frostplugs in the top, which are intact, so I am left with the most frustrating option: The frostplug inside the timing gear case in the front in the motor (picture no. 4 in the link). Now, finally, the actual question: Is it possible to get the timing gear case off, without detaching the front axle, or do I actually have to split the tractor by the front axle to get the panel off...? It is a 4wd-version of the L345.

If anyone wants to help I can take pictures, it is mostly taken completely apart, except for the front axle. Or if anyone has any alternative method to find out if the frost plug is the problem.

Calmachine831

Aug 10, 2018
Royal oaks
Did you find out the problem? I know it's an old post.
Hi!

I have a Kubota L345 which has oil in radiator, and radiator in oil, pretty much identical to this problem: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/found-oil-in-your-coolant/

Now, the water leak is MASSIVE, I can pour in 3 L water in the radiator, and it will run out from the oil drain plug under the oil pan in about 30 seconds (yes, the water will come running out from the oil-drain-plug), so I am pretty sure it is not a motor block crack, or gaskets, I think only a frost plug can make this happen.

I have inspected the frostplugs in the top, which are intact, so I am left with the most frustrating option: The frostplug inside the timing gear case in the front in the motor (picture no. 4 in the link). Now, finally, the actual question: Is it possible to get the timing gear case off, without detaching the front axle, or do I actually have to split the tractor by the front axle to get the panel off...? It is a 4wd-version of the L345.

If anyone wants to help I can take pictures, it is mostly taken completely apart, except for the front axle. Or if anyone has any alternative method to find out if the frost plug is the problem.