Remote Battery Charging

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is any one familair with any of these remote battery connection methods? If so I would appreciate comments on how well they work and if one style is better than another. I have a vehicle that is difficult to get to the battery and would like to bring leads out to be able to jump start it easier.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Remote-Battery-Jumper-Terminals/745300/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Battery-Quick-Connect/1318566/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/74155/10002/-1

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well Russ the second one listed , we called them hand shake plugs and are used quit a bit underground for charging battery powered man trips. They work well but you would do you well to place a diode or a disconect switch of some kind, in and remote charging line just in case, so you dont wind up with an MS condition,,, MS conditoin? Why it means Maximum Smoke of course,,:D. But what ever one you choose place becareful to place them some place OUT of the way and protected from contact,, Just MHO you understand

Iowan

Equipment
Kubota's
Apr 29, 2012
North central Iowa
The first one is similar to what the car manufacturers use under the hood when they hide the battery under the fender or the back seat.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ever seen a wrench glow across as set of battery terminals? I have!

Having jumped many vehicles and tested many batteries when I worked at the quick lube I'll say any vehicle with a remote negative terminal like that was a beautiful site. It was always a challenge to find a solid enough negative connection for the battery test especially when everything was corroded from the salt. The positive usually wasn't a problem (fuse box) except on Chevy's with the side terminals. The types I saw were similar to the first link you posted and usually mounted on the firewall, worked quite well.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I like these........mount them in the trunk. The last car I owned (71 Camaro).....damn that was a long time ago........ I moved the battery to the trunk.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
AW Driect has one with the lead wires already mounted on it for about 47 bucks. http://www.awdirect.com/connector-harness-4-superior-signals-stc918k-4/jump-start-sets-accessories/

I have this one on the back of my pickup truck and have 50 foot jumper cables. It was put on the rear of the truck incase by chance something on the trailer like a tractor is dead I can jump start and off load if I need to.
http://www.awdirect.com/polarized-s...-associated-6137/jump-start-sets-accessories/

Yeah.....for $85 that ain't bad.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the responses and links. I will certainly look at some of these but $700 for jumper cables - OUCH!

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ever seen a wrench glow across as set of battery terminals? I have!
Yea I hate when you accidentally short across the battery posts and burn chunks off the wrench.

I remember in shop class (a really long time ago!) watching this guy stretch a spring across battery terminals and it took about 2 seconds to turn red hot and he could not figure how to get it off! Luckily his friend was close and had pliers in his hands to remove it with and the sense to get it off.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Where did you see jumper cables for 700 bucks?
Anybody who bought them for $700 bucks!

Waytek has smaller connectors if you want to use 6 gauge wire. Very useful connections but require a certain way to solder the terminals to cables. It's done with a propane torch with a solder "slug" made of coiled solder. Heat the terminal upright in a vise until it's nearly orange with the "slug" in it, remove flame, insert wire & hold until it cools.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It is a pretty large wire guage (1) and copper prices are high.

But I would have to be getting paid pretty well to jump start 18 wheelers in Nome, Alaska several times a day to convince myself to spend $675 on jumper cables!

manofaus

Equipment
bx2350
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
over here we call them anderson plugs and you can get them in all different ratings. ie...50amp-300amp. The good thing is that when you make up a jumper cable with anderson at one end and alligator clips the other people don't bother to steal them. But really if your point was for battery charging you probably go for the smaller versions to make it cheaper. you could start a small diesel with the 50 amp easily, just don't crank for too long.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Go to any large welding supply shop and pick up a set of arc welding cable quick-disconnects and some cable and build a HD extension cable yourself. These parts (esp cable) will last longer than just about anything else and the cable will be super-flexible.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Good idea about the welding shops for the cables and connectors.

I just need a way to jump start the vehicle so I will probably go with the battery terminal style of remote access. I already have some jumper cables and also one of those jump start battery packs that both have jaw type ends. I am thinking that I could up grade the whole lot to the plug style and not have to worry so much about shorting the cable ends during hook up - not that that has ever happened.