Reinstalling blades after sharpening 60MMM

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Question, just sharpened the blades for the first time on new BX2380, and after reinstalling the blades on 60MMM is there an optimal/preferred/best VooDoo way to align the blades directionally relative to each other? In other words, all blades at 12/6 o'clock? Outers at 12/6 o'clock, inner at 3/9 o'clock? All different? Doesn't matter?

Thanks to all.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
There is no need to worry. They can not hit each other.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It does not matter.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
There is a caution in the Kubota installation manual I have .

The blades should be positioned as far from each other in order to prolong the life of the blades.

See attached from the manual.

My sense is that the concern is for a blade blasting stuff against the turned up back side of the blade in its discharge path

Dave

Attachments

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I alternate my blades by 90 degrees after sharpening, but they will end up random in short order. If you cut a LOT of grass, the blade on the discharge side should be relocated to the inside spindle to even out wear. I cut about 25 acres per week and can tell the difference in blade wear, but not much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

The blades should be positioned as far from each other in order to prolong the life of the blades.

My sense is that the concern is for a blade blasting stuff against the turned up back side of the blade in its discharge path

Dave
Seeing that diagram really surprises me. Unless the blades are chain driven, they would never stay that way.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I alternate my blades by 90 degrees after sharpening, but they will end up random in short order. If you cut a LOT of grass, the blade on the discharge side should be relocated to the inside spindle to even out wear. I cut about 25 acres per week and can tell the difference in blade wear, but not much.

Bingo.

I rotate my blades one position each season upon sharpening.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT, you can make an entire season without resharpening?
Yes.

I sharpen each fall upon removal and servicing of the MMM. I usually sharpen with a file but doing so goes through a good 14" File to sharpen all three blades.

I rarely hit anything other than grass when mowing.

SDT

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

Dave
Actually, that picture is showing to rotate the blades after sharpening.
The left blade is moved to the center, the center blade is moved to the right, the right blade is moved to the left.

The clocking of the blades makes no difference as the will slip in the belt or on the spindle a little over time anyway.
Just make sure they are not downside up! We see that several times a season.

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Actually, that picture is showing to rotate the blades after sharpening.
The left blade is moved to the center, the center blade is moved to the right, the right blade is moved to the left.

The clocking of the blades makes no difference as the will slip in the belt or on the spindle a little over time anyway.
Just make sure they are not downside up! We see that several times a season.

Well dang! I can see that now, but having seen that diagram in the past, I interpreted it also as clocking the blade rotation position.