Reel mower

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Just saw a reel mower for sale in town. I don't know the exact width but it had 5 gangs and was pto driven and required rear hydraulics for $995. It looked good but I wasn't sure what to inspect. Either way I am sure this was to big for my b2920 but it got me thinking.

1) can anyone tell me if they have any experience with this type of mower and was it good or bad?

2) how difficult is the maintenance and how often is mainentance required on these mowers? ( I would be cutting a few acres a week at my house)

3) are these mowers cost effective vs having a rear pull offset mower to compliment by current 60" deck?

4) How wide / how many gangs / what type of mower can my B2920 handle?

Thank you for any input ......

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I may be of some use to you.
I have a huxley TR66(also known as a sisis tr66)reel mower with 3 cutter heads which is a just under 6ft wide which i use on the back of my little old B6000, it works great, i also use it on my B7100, which, with the few extra ponies work even better.

It runs from its own hydraulics with a pto gear pump.
They made several vesrions in 3/5/7 cutting cylinder options, i found the 66 best for me, a 5 would work fine also on my 7100 but the width becomes an issue around our garden.

From my user manual it is recommeded for quite a lot of the compact tractors.
On the positive side, it is quick to fit & remove and by using its own hydraulics its not putting excessive load on the tractor pump.
It cuts very well and leaves an exceptional finish, a far superior finish to that of other mowing types.
Ideal for large grass areas that you want to keep short and nice.
Some have a control spool which let you rotate the cylinders anticlock-wise etc to assist clearing/unblocking the cylinder, mine does.

On the negative side, they do require yearly maintaince of the blades/cylinders etc, which may be more costly than other types, but its all down to your preference on lawn finish.
If you treat it nicely and avoid eating stones and other non grass materials with it, you could, go 2 or maybe 3 seasons without major servicing, just adjusting the bottom blade regulary and keeping everything else nice and greesed/oiled and tightened up. You dont want nuts and bolts falling off let alone into the path of the blades...
you will soon see when its not cutting properly.

Also limited ability in the wet as you get more clogging etc and grass cuttings dispersal is reduced.

other than that they are an excellent tool, i would'nt be withoutmine now.
I did put some pics up a while ago, search my username or under gang mower and you should see it.

I would not be temped to go to wide, just keep things balanced with your tractor, you may find a little smaller is far easier to work with.

I am currently looking for a second unit for my 7100 still a 3 head machine but a bit wider , prob a 7ft reel mower also self contained hydraulics, ransomes do a good range and they are well suited to most kubota compacts.

hope that is of some help.
rob

Attachments

Last edited:

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Ha funny, I have read your posts. Great machine!!! Looking at your lawn I may have to wait a few seasons to get my lawn in order before jumping to such a precise machine. I still have lots of small stones which i need to get rid of. I guess I am also being a bit over zealous. I would love to jump up to a 7 9 or even 11 foot swath from my 60" deck....

This would speed up my time frame. This all actually stated as I saw a batwing Jacobson used by a municipality , then seeing some sweet commercial mowers with an unfriendly price tag of 10k plus......

Then as i came into town I saw this gang mower and it got my wheels turning. Less cost + save time = more time for other things with a great looking lawn.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
My only experience with the reel mowers is actually an experience with my cousin, it lopped 2 fingers off very cleanly. such a clean cut as they were able to be reattached and one even functions! No joke this time.

KenB2920

Equipment
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Wow no kidding. I know the feeling all to well unfortunately. When I was 15 I had a run in with the push mower and my foot. I can sympathize