Recycling base of shipping crate for WC68 chipper

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
As mentioned previously by another poster he used the metal base of the crate as a rolling platform to store the chipper on. Previously I had used multiple furniture dollies for implements stored in the basement. The base is a big improvement!
I ordered 5" casters for mobility and used a grinding wheel to remove the metal centering posts used for shipping. That left a pretty flat bed for the chipper and it didn't have to be exactly centered.
It worked out great! It's easy to drop the chipper onto it and it rolls (safely) very easily.
Sorry I couldn't find the original thread on this but a big TY to the OP!

sitting on storage frame.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
As mentioned previously by another poster he used the metal base of the crate as a rolling platform to store the chipper on. Previously I had used multiple furniture dollies for implements stored in the basement. The base is a big improvement!
I ordered 5" casters for mobility and used a grinding wheel to remove the metal centering posts used for shipping. That left a pretty flat bed for the chipper and it didn't have to be exactly centered.
It worked out great! It's easy to drop the chipper onto it and it rolls (safely) vary easily.
Sorry I couldn't find the original thread on this but a big TY to the OP!

View attachment 56751
Nice!

Did the same with mine but left the centering posts. They definitely make it harder to get on but I transport it back and forth to my brother (he’s half owner) and the centering posts really lock it down for transport in the back of a pickup.

Having the casters makes hookup MUCH easier. Worst thing about hookup is getting the PTO hooked up in very limited space. Putting it on casters, I can hook up the PTO first while it’s still back a little from the tractor and manually push the chipper to the tractor without worrying about busting something if anything binds (I’m not strong enough to bust anything on the back of the tractor with just muscle power.)
F0719B4E-EB7D-4DEB-B477-9769822C0236.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Funny, that's what I planned to do with my BESTCO I just purchased.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Each year goes by and I acquire more and more toys, errr equipment......more and more things go up on casters.

Reactions: 1 users

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
Have you had the chance to try your chipper? I just picked up at WC46 for the BX but it's still in the crate!

- James

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Have you had the chance to try your chipper? I just picked up at WC46 for the BX but it's still in the crate!

- James
Yes I did but just for 30 minutes or so. I have several large oaks that have died and are losing pretty good sized limbs when it really gets windy. I chipped a bunch of them from one tree. The largest was about 4" and the WC68 had no problem at all.
This is the first hydraulic feed chipper I've had and you can get to like that.

Reactions: 1 users

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I like your rolling base, sure makes lining things up easy.

Here's what I did with my shipping crate.

Reactions: 1 user