Recommendation for pto chipper

Zeked

Equipment
L3400
Feb 8, 2023
Central Oregon
The wife wants a chipper/shredder and since we have a l3400 I am interested in a pto option rather than a standalone unit. Are there things to watch out for? Brands to ignore? Personal experience?

Regards
Zeke

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I have a Woodmaxx MX9900, couldn't be any happier with it. They have several models, some are made here in the USA also.

My recommendation: Get one with the hydraulic feed and a low chute angle. The ones with the larger openings are better for odd shaped branches as well as larger material.

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Manual feed works if you have small stuff but it will wear you down if you have to hand feed big stuff into the shoot.

It also, shoots out debris like crazy... Hearing protection and glasses are a must!!! It's loud!

Here's mine... I find that now that I have a grapple, I just pick up the downed trees and I put them in the bush pile. Lot easier than feeding the chipper...

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Yep, and every time it’s covered seems to boil down Woodmaxx or Woodland Mills for brand for most here and definitely get hydraulic feed.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
First decide what you will be feeding into it. Is she cutting down trees or clearing the yard?
If it is shredding the McKissick hammer mill shredder and variable screens cannot be be beat. Checkout the TPH184
Bigger units are better for chipping trees.
I run a TPH123 and it is fine for small limbs, 2-3” diameter and great for all my yard stuff - leaves, blackberry canes, sunflowers, tree pruning, bark from log splitting, etc.
Big chippers won’t eat up all this small stuff.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Another WoodMaxx MX9900 user here, I often run it on my L3200. The chipper has done some great work to date and has had zero issues. The large hydraulic infeed rollers handle things really well and make it super productive. I have other WoodMaxx products and they have been super supportive for any parts or issues.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
First decide what you will be feeding into it.

This.

Read Lencho's post over a few times.

With every tool, in every category, you first need to understand the job you want to do. Bigger is not always better. Hammers make lousy screwdrivers and wrenches aren't the best hammers.

You cannot choose the best tool until you understand the job you want to do. "I want to chip branches." is not nearly close enough to an accurate job description.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I totally love my Woodland Mills. Make sure you get the hydraulic feed, makes all the difference in the world.
Dave

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought a mystery chinese clone 8" chipper with mechanical power infeed. It's great because every 15 minutes or so something breaks and I have to stop for a break from chipping to fix things. Then I got bored fixing the mechanical infeed and went hydraulic infeed. All nut/bolt shield fasteners are now using weld nuts on the frame so I can field strip and fix everything with a single 13mm ratchet wrench. So on and so forth hopefully you get the idea...I saved money up front buying the unit and spend all my time and money saved on fixing and upgrading broken parts. Great hobby!

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I bought a mystery chinese clone 8" chipper with mechanical power infeed. It's great because every 15 minutes or so something breaks and I have to stop for a break from chipping to fix things. Then I got bored fixing the mechanical infeed and went hydraulic infeed. All nut/bolt shield fasteners are now using weld nuts on the frame so I can field strip and fix everything with a single 13mm ratchet wrench. So on and so forth hopefully you get the idea...I saved money up front buying the unit and spend all my time and money saved on fixing and upgrading broken parts. Great hobby!
Thank you, you are an honest man.
Dave

Zeked

Equipment
L3400
Feb 8, 2023
Central Oregon
Thank you all. We went with the McKissick as it fit the work/results we (she) wanted. The advice to well-define the task at hand was invaluable.

Zeked

Equipment
L3400
Feb 8, 2023
Central Oregon
Maybe employ the search function here as this subject has been covered over and over and........
J.J. I did, but everything seemed to be very old……. Maybe the wrong search criteria. My Urologist says things change as they get older.