Receiver recommendation

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
One of my tractors jobs will be moving trailers around my equipment yard. the yard is under an acre and flat. Trailers are tandem axle and empty. 20' flat beds with pintle and 500 gal water trailers with 2" coupler. Not much weight for my MX5400. A receiver for my 3 point looks like a good option. I have a land pride quick hitch and the implement side is CAT 1.
The receivers vary greatly in price and I wanted input on what some of you use.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I use a modded TSC trailer mover to move empty 16' equipment trailer and dump trailer all mowing season - don't bother locking hitches to trailer ball.
20200708_161149.jpg

20150321_123259.jpg

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I had this made for over the drawbar. The 3pt could lift up..... likely not in your case but... I got a cheapie 3pt receiver T bar off Amazon that works. If you have any scrap tubing, welder and an hour of time, you could make one for your purpose!
C9EA5C22-9D3F-42F9-AE99-25265463EBDB.jpeg

swpflipper

Equipment
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I had this made for over the drawbar. The 3pt could lift up..... likely not in your case but... I got a cheapie 3pt receiver T bar off Amazon that works. If you have any scrap tubing, welder and an hour of time, you could make one for your purpose! View attachment 51168
I originally thought about using the draw bar. Some of my trailers are hauled by larger trucks and the hitch is 2 feet off the ground. Others are about 15 inches off. So being able to raise and lower the hitch from the tractor will be easier. I will however have a big D ring on my draw bar.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
As you say there are many on the market, I also move gooseneck trailers so I only buy a combination receiver to handle all types of trailer.

Here is a good deal:

I have one of those and use it on my MX5800 or L3901, you will need a combo pintle / ball unit that will handle both types of trailer that you have. Here is a link to one at Amazon.

Titan also make a much heavier duty transformer hitch which is more expensive and weighs a lot more, I use that on my MX5800 to move large campers and heavy equipment trailers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
As you say there are many on the market, I also move gooseneck trailers so I only buy a combination receiver to handle all types of trailer.

Here is a good deal:

I have one of those and use it on my MX5800 or L3901, you will need a combo pintle / ball unit that will handle both types of trailer that you have. Here is a link to one at Amazon.

I like both of those items. They seem reasonably priced too.

swpflipper

Equipment
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona

Here is a good deal:

I appreciate that one. Yes We have the combo pintle/ball on our pickups.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Using the 3pt is nice, just pick up and move, if you don’t need to worry about locking it on, however, Murphy is usually nearby ready to lend a helping hand and puts an obstacle near the jack that you don’t see which will bend it over....
Using the FEL could be an option too maybe? Ball on pallet forks, or mount a ball or receiver on a bucket?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The problem with using the 3-pt can be no down-pressure..... if you get the thing moving and try to stop... the trailer can over-run you. It might be easier to use the FEL, where you can also see better for maneuvering.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
A trailer mover is great if you fill a roller with concrete and add trailer coupler on the front
20200330_140415.jpg

If you really want to tick off the neighbors when they get their turf tire riding mowers stuck.
20200401_152545.jpg

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I watched and caught the 3pt trailer hitch from the TSC on sale. It has worked well for us. Easy to hook on to the QH. Plus, my dad has used it on his MF, which he has QH on his tractor.

20201120_102447 copy.jpg

swpflipper

Equipment
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
The problem with using the 3-pt can be no down-pressure..... if you get the thing moving and try to stop... the trailer can over-run you. It might be easier to use the FEL, where you can also see better for maneuvering.
I didn't think about the no down pressure. I would think that with the coupler latched less chance of getting in trouble. In an uneven surface, I could see how the 3 point could be damaged.
As for using the FEL. I am not opposed to it, I think I want a dedicated receiver attachment. I do have a blank quick attachment that I can weld a receiver to. Then both tractor and skid steer can do it if needed.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I didn't think about the no down pressure. I would think that with the coupler latched less chance of getting in trouble. In an uneven surface, I could see how the 3 point could be damaged.
As for using the FEL. I am not opposed to it, I think I want a dedicated receiver attachment. I do have a blank quick attachment that I can weld a receiver to. Then both tractor and skid steer can do it if needed.
Harm to the 3-pt is not what I was addressing ...nor what I’d expect.

What I meant was that ...if using the 3-pt to pull a trailer and needing to stop.... the momentum of the trailer will push against the 3-pt...which, lacking down-pressure, might “rise up” and smite thee.

I used to have a 9N Ford that I gave “hay-rides” with pulling a 16‘ trailer with feed sacks for occupant-seats. The problem going down-hill was the trailer tried to push the tractor....and the 3-pt would rise up and the trailer tongue would almost strike me in the back and the trailer would tilt up and almost dump the occupants to the rear.
I tried chaining the 3-pt down but that caused other problems when forgetting, and once while crossing a swale the trailer tongue dug into the creek-bottom I tried to raise the tongue with the 3-pt... and broke the lift-arm yokes because the chains prevented the 3-pt from rising. (Solution, don’t try to raise the 3-pt when chained-down. Doh.)

Reactions: 1 users

swpflipper

Equipment
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
Harm to the 3-pt is not what I was addressing ...nor what I’d expect.

What I meant was that ...if using the 3-pt to pull a trailer and needing to stop.... the momentum of the trailer will push against the 3-pt...which, lacking down-pressure, might “rise up” and smite thee.

I used to have a 9N Ford that I gave “hay-rides” with pulling a 16‘ trailer with feed sacks for occupant-seats. The problem going down-hill was the trailer tried to push the tractor....and the 3-pt would rise up and the trailer tongue would almost strike me in the back and the trailer would tilt up and almost dump the occupants to the rear.
I tried chaining the 3-pt down but that caused other problems when forgetting, and once while crossing a swale the trailer tongue dug into the creek-bottom I tried to raise the tongue with the 3-pt... and broke the lift-arm yokes because the chains prevented the 3-pt from rising. (Solution, don’t try to raise the 3-pt when chained-down. Doh.)
I can see the problem your talking about. Let me ask, due to your experiences, do you think this will be a problem for empty trailers on flat ground?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I can see the problem your talking about. Let me ask, due to your experiences, do you think this will be a problem for empty trailers on flat ground?
An empty trailer on flat ground should not be a problem. A chain to prevent the 3 point from coming all the way up should still be used. There could be enough slack to allow the trailers to be hooked up or dropped from the seat. Backing up the trailer might put you in a position where the trailer hitch would come up. You should latch the trailer to the hitch to keep control of the trailer.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I used one of these for several years...worked great and much easier to maneuver a trailer in exactly the spot you want using the loader....there are several manufacturers...mine was a titan.

I gave it way when I got my forks since the forks had a 2" receiver welded into the frame.
clamp on bucket reciever.JPG

OverkillTASF

Equipment
Kubota M5660, WR Long UJ1 4-in-1 bucket, Titan Cat2 Ballast box
Nov 25, 2020
Virginia
Holy cow I did not know this... My ballast box came with a receiver built into it and I was like "oh hey cool". Maybe in this case it's alright because in theory you've got a thousand pounds of tongue weight from the ballast box holding the three point down?

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I had this made for over the drawbar. The 3pt could lift up..... likely not in your case but... I got a cheapie 3pt receiver T bar off Amazon that works. If you have any scrap tubing, welder and an hour of time, you could make one for your purpose! View attachment 51168
+++
I like this idea.. It looks to be able to pin on the bottom like shown, or on top..

This will go into my "good idea" note book...