Reattaching PTO Cover on Snowblower

ChrisO83

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 hsdc, STB 1072 Plow, B2782B Blower, MTL 48” Graplr, MTL Forks, FEL
Feb 16, 2021
Coalville, UT
So I’m fairly new to tractors and was checking my PTO connections on my B2782B snowblower. I removed the protective cover on the PTO, which was fairly easy to do, but trying to put it back on is another story.

There is a retaining ring that fits in a groove in the cover that needs to be set in place from the inside but getting to it without removing the entire yoke from the snowblower is impossible to do because of the metal housing on the blower.

So before I disconnect the shaft from the blower I wanted to make sure that’s the only way to access the retaining ring to set it in place?

This seems rather complicated comparhow easy the cover came off.
What am I doing wrong?

CO

Attachments

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm not exactly clear on what your question is. Based on your title I thought you were asking about snowblowers. In the content it's a PTO shaft assembly question and you don't provide a manufacturer or model number.

You might have better luck if you try and find a parts diagram for your PTO shaft assembly. Different manufacturers use different assemblies. If you managed to disassemble the PTO shaft cover then reassemble it in reverse order. That's all I can give you with the info provided.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hopefully you've got 6 MONTHS to figure it out.......
one of those , shouldhave taken picture before/during the teardown
M's right, check online for a 'parts picture'
if you're talking about the plastic safety shield on the PTO shaft, pull the PTO shaft apart, slide cover on SB portion, slide front half of PTO shaft through shield ,into rear half of PTO shaft ??
this is one of those 'easy, to do , if there - harder from long distance' things.

ChrisO83

Equipment
Kubota LX3310 hsdc, STB 1072 Plow, B2782B Blower, MTL 48” Graplr, MTL Forks, FEL
Feb 16, 2021
Coalville, UT
I'm not exactly clear on what your question is. Based on your title I thought you were asking about snowblowers. In the content it's a PTO shaft assembly question and you don't provide a manufacturer or model number.

You might have better luck if you try and find a parts diagram for your PTO shaft assembly. Different manufacturers use different assemblies. If you managed to disassemble the PTO shaft cover then reassemble it in reverse order. That's all I can give you with the info provided.
Sorry for not being more clear, let me try again.
I removed the plastic protective cover on the PTO shaft which is attached to my B2782 Snowblower. There is a metal shield on the snowblower (see photo) that protects the yoke assembly on the blower. Because of that metal shield I can not reattach the plastic PTO cover because I can’t get to the end side of the shaft to reach the metal retaining ring that holds the protective PTO cover in place. Looks like I have to remove the blower drive shaft yoke and PTO shaft (all one assembly) from the blower to get to the end of the PTO shaft parts.
I am hoping there’s an easier way to reinstall the plastic protective PTO cover without removing the entire shaft from the blower.
Does that make more sense?
Thanks for you help,
CO
25C33F4C-6BB7-436A-BEC8-B2176699AB07.jpeg
F51F8BB7-CA4B-423A-85DB-439CD845B11B.jpeg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I looked at the parts diagram and will give you my thoughts

At each end of the pto guard there is a plastic bearing. These bearing permit the metal internal shaft to rotate while the outer plastic shield remains stationary held from rotating by chains at either end.

I think you will find the plastic bearings are split to allow you to spread them in order to move them to the right position.

Once the bearings are in place the outer shield halves (tubes and big ends) will engage with the bearings. Look for slots in the outer shield where fingers on the bearings can slip into and turn a bit to lock in position.

Each end has a screw to lock the outer shield to the plastic bearing.

forum B2782 pto shield.jpg

Dave

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Try to turn the white plastic bearings so the tab is at a known clock position (say 3:00). Then turn the black shield so the slot matches that position (3:00) then carefully slide it forward and over the white bearing. You may have to adjust the position to get the black slot over the white tab. Should snap in place or install the screw as noted above.

I live in Texas so have no real idea how to work on a snow blower.

ChrisO83

Equipment
Feb 16, 2021
Coalville, UT
I looked at the parts diagram and will give you my thoughts

At each end of the pto guard there is a plastic bearing. These bearing permit the metal internal shaft to rotate while the outer plastic shield remains stationary held from rotating by chains at either end.

I think you will find the plastic bearings are split to allow you to spread them in order to move them to the right position.

Once the bearings are in place the outer shield halves (tubes and big ends) will engage with the bearings. Look for slots in the outer shield where fingers on the bearings can slip into and turn a bit to lock in position.

Each end has a screw to lock the outer shield to the plastic bearing.

View attachment 63279
Dave
Well, thanks everyone for your input.

The only solution I could find was to remove the yoke and pto assembly from the blowers drive shaft so that I could gain access to the end of the shaft.

What is not apparent to this protective shaft cover is that it has a metal snap ring that holds everything in place. And the only way to gain access to it is from the end of the shaft, which means it has to come off the blower. Even with the shaft removed it is still challenging due to limited access space around the plastic protective cover and the yoke.
So a simple five minute task has turned into a thirty minute project.
All appears to be good now.

CO

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
glad you got it figured out... hate to ask, but did you grease the U-joint BEFORE putting the cover back on ??

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Sometimes flipping the blower so the PTO is vertical and easier to access without being a contortionist helps. Sometimes I need really skinny fingers and hands and I need to call the wife for a hand or two.

Keep in mind you may need to be able to rotate the PTO shaft. Block and support the blower appropriately for safety.