Rear Wheel Reduction housing lube?

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
We have Grey L2201DT and wonder about the reduction gear on the rear wheels
I see a drain and filler cap bolts- but does that gear housing get it's lube from the transmission fluid level. or is it a separate fluid.
In freezing weather the hydraulics do not work -I'm thinking there is a lot of water in the transmission and has frozen so I'm going to drain and flush.
I'm going to put it in my shop and put a electrical heater under the transmission

thanks for any help
Hank

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On my old L185 the transmission sump also fills the rear wheel gear reduction.

I suggest you measure the fluid level in the transmission with a stick and then start draining fluid out of the lower drain plug in the rear wheel area. Stop draining if possible and then measure the transmission level again to prove that it is all one sump.

If possible it might be best to drain all the fluid out of those low points to wash out the sludge that may be there

Reactions: 1 user

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
On my old L185 the transmission sump also fills the rear wheel gear reduction.

I suggest you measure the fluid level in the transmission with a stick and then start draining fluid out of the lower drain plug in the rear wheel area. Stop draining if possible and then measure the transmission level again to prove that it is all one sump.

If possible it might be best to drain all the fluid out of those low points to wash out the sludge that may be there
thanks good point on measuring the levels I'll give a try
cheers
Hank