Rear Tire Ballasts

Walls Bee Man

Equipment
L 2501
Sep 7, 2023
Walls, MS
Just purchased an ๐‹ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ
Live in Walls, MS next to Memphis TN. 35 Latitude,
๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐˜‡๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ? ๐—›๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜† ๐—š๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜€ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐—œ ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ ?
Should I use ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐˜๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐˜€ to the Diesel. ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฑ & ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ผ๐—ณ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ป & ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—บ๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ต.
I will use it 6 (six) hour monthly in the Summer
Thank you

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I don't know what tires you have compared to mine but let me tell you how I put anitfreez in my tractor rear wheels. I used 100% windshield washer fluid rated for -20 for my tire ballast in my B3000. No mixture of water. I have the industrial tire not the Ag tire. I put a tube in each of my rear tires so as to avoid any liquid contact with the rim. each tire took just shy of 18 gallons in each tire. Ballast was about 150 pounds per tire. I live in Idaho and our temps can get below 0 for days at a time and I don't use any diesel additives. I store diesel on site in a 35 gallon tank and I use an anti microbial when I fill the storage tank to keep out any possible algae growth. In reality the humidity in Idaho is pretty dry so I probably don't have much risk but I would say if you store any diesel for future use you should think seriously about using anti microbial because you have pretty high humidity in MS.

Reactions: 1 user

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
We always ran 50/50 just like in the radiator in all the equipment. But then again that was back in the days of nobody sticking their noses in your bussiness. And yeah 50/50 in the BX tires never had a problem. Though wind washer fluid fluid would probbly be cheaper or the dealer might fill them for you at a min cost

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Had dealer put Rim Guard (beet juice) in mine. If your a DIY guy, replace valve stems with fluid compatible stems. Use power service as a fuel additive. If your stuck with biodiesel then also use some type of biocide. It's easier to treat a large tank than a 5gal can.
20210611_181804.jpg

Walls Bee Man

Equipment
L 2501
Sep 7, 2023
Walls, MS
I don't know what tires you have compared to mine but let me tell you how I put anitfreez in my tractor rear wheels. I used 100% windshield washer fluid rated for -20 for my tire ballast in my B3000. No mixture of water. I have the industrial tire not the Ag tire. I put a tube in each of my rear tires so as to avoid any liquid contact with the rim. each tire took just shy of 18 gallons in each tire. Ballast was about 150 pounds per tire. I live in Idaho and our temps can get below 0 for days at a time and I don't use any diesel additives. I store diesel on site in a 35 gallon tank and I use an anti microbial when I fill the storage tank to keep out any possible algae growth. In reality the humidity in Idaho is pretty dry so I probably don't have much risk but I would say if you store any diesel for future use you should think seriously about using anti microbial because you have pretty high humidity in MS.
Thank you War Eagle for taking time to reply. I meant to ask, ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6โ€™ cutter, forks, 8โ€™ rear blade, 7โ€™ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thank you War Eagle for taking time to reply. I meant to ask, ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ.
Grease is almost a forbidden topic on the forum.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Just purchased an ๐‹ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ
Live in Walls, MS next to Memphis TN. 35 Latitude,
๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜๐—ถ๐—ณ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐˜‡๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ? ๐—›๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜† ๐—š๐—ฎ๐—น๐˜€ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐—œ ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ ?
Should I use ๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐˜๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐˜€ to the Diesel. ๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฑ & ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ผ๐—ณ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ป & ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—บ๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ต.
I will use it 6 (six) hour monthly in the Summer
Thank you
I avoid liquid ballast for multiple reasons but most folks who use such use RV antifreeze as purchased or have dealer install Rim Guard. No dilution in either case.

No fuel additives necessary except anti-gel in cold climate. Simply follow label instructions. Probably not needed in your area.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I live not much further than you, just over the AL/TN border. For my L4330 rear tires, I used 5 gallons of RV antifreeze, good to -50 degrees F, the rest water, for a total of 47 gallons each tire.

Rimguard has a tire chart that will show you the water capacity of most tractor tires.

If it was easier to get, I would buy the Rimguard solution. The problem is that RG is not sold and installed everywhere; so it's not available to everyone. The further south you go, the harder or non-existant it is. The closest dealer to me is about 100 miles away to the north.

If you're just using it in the summer, I probably wouldn't worry about it, fill it with water and just don't run it in low temps.

Make sure to compare people's suggestions and their locations: what works in FL won't necessarily work in MN and vice versa.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
๐—ช๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐—ณ ๐—ด๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—ฒ.
If you don't use "Mobil one Synthetic grease with Moly type 4 at a rating of CL5"...Well then your axles will fall off.....and you will die if you modified your ROPs......You have been warned.

Edit: I forgot to mention, God will send you straight to Hell when you arrive, if your tractor has anything but Kubota oil in the crankcase.

Paul

1694449859438.png

Double edit: Welcome to the asylum, and congrats on the new machine. (y) ๐Ÿบ

I use Lucas Red N Tacky and since I do not want to risk going to Hell, I only Kubota oils and Hyd fluid.

Last edited: