Rear Blade Gauge Wheels on B2620

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
I finally got around to getting some more pictures of the gauge wheels I made for the rear blade on my B2620.

I added the gauge wheels to try to help keep from scraping all of the gravel out of our driveway when I move snow this winter.

I had everything on hand already except for the 3/4" threaded rod and grease zirks. One design oversight of the wheels, is that I have to pull one of the wheels off to be able to rotate the blade around, but its just one thumb screw to loosen up, so It isn't a huge deal.

I built the gauge wheels this way because I already had the offset pneumatic wheels, and I also wanted them to be very adjustable. I wanted to be able to keep them close to the blade for moving snow, to help keep the blade from digging into the gravel, and I thought it might be handy to be able to extend them out a little ways to be able to grade a little smoother if needed.

If I had to do it over again, I might have just bought some maybe 6"x2" heavy duty casters, and them just welded a mounting plate onto my 3/4" threaded rod and then weld a similar mount (with out the length adjustment) lower on the blade so I could rotate the blade without having to remove one wheel. I think it would also help make everything a little more rigid. But with all that being said, this setup seems to work pretty good. I'll try it a few times when we get some snow and see how I like it and see if I want to change it later on.....

Anyways here are some pics:

I started with some offset mount 4.10x3.5 pnuematic wheels that I already had, I've been planing on putting them on my generator for a couple years now.......

Using a torch I bent the threaded rod so that the pivot point would be over the center of the tire, and also bent an offset in the rod so they would swivel when changing directions.

For mounts on the blade I welded a couple pieces 3/8" ID tubing to the top of the blade, and a slotted piece of heavy 1.5" angle a little lower for an adjustment.

Then I got in a grove of working and forgot to take more pictures on the way. but I took two pieces of the 1.5" angle and welded them together to make a piece of rectangular tubing for an adjustable mount, I also welded a 3/8" bolt to the bottom of that to make it adjustable so the wheels swiveling point could be adjusted to be perpendicular with the ground when you adjust the angle of the blade.

I used some heavy 1" square tubing I had for the adjustable length mounts, and welded a piece of 3/4" ID tubing I had left over from the suspension on my V8 Beetle to the end of that for the swivel.

I also welded some 3/8" bolts to the 3/4" nuts for handles so I wouldn't need tools to adjust the height of the wheels.

I also cut a flat piece of 1/4" thick steel to go into the rectangular mounts so that the thumb screw is pressing against the plate and not the square tubing. I should have made up some "thumb screws" with a larger handle instead of using these so it would be easier to tight them, but these will probably get the job done.

zbhover

Equipment
B2620, 60" MMM
Jun 14, 2014
Glasford IL
www.zbcreations.com
I also forgot to get picture of the support I welded into the wheel brackets I bent, I figured this might help a little to keep them from wanting to bend.

It seems to work pretty good going up and down the drive way, but I'm not sure they would be ridge enough to use in the dirt? So I might build a new version later on.....

It looks like the B2620 is ready for some snow, but I don't think I am ;)
The blade just needs some orange paint, but I'll hold off on that until I decide if I'm going to make changes or not.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Great backyard engineering. Two comments if I may: I have not had good luck fabricating things like this with threaded rod- each thread becomes a "stress concentrator"; in other words, a place to bend or break. But I've never used any thing that big, perhaps 3/4" will be heavy enough.
I would snag those adjuster handles on something, my place is pretty tight.
Please keep us informed how it works.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I had considered something lik this, but wheels wouldnt swivel. Instead the telescopic bars would turn. Havent tried it yet, but spring is right around the corner,down the block and and around a couple more corners.
I use a meyers plow on a gmc4x4 to plow.

Guide wheels should help.