Rear blade for B2920

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
What's the going recommendation for a 3pt rear blade width for a B2920? I'm guessing 5', but I don't know if it will still be wider than tire track width when angled. It'll be mainly used for snow. I would feel better with a larger blade, but I don't want to be constantly bogged down if I go with a 6' blade.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
From what I can tell the HP is 29, so that compares to a blue tractor I have of 29 HP. That blue tractor, just short of 5 feet wide, easily handles a 7 foot wide blade that was category II. I changed the attachment so the Cat. I tractor could use it. Of course the blue tractor had a bucket to help balance the loading. No trouble with chains on tractor and snow 12 to 24 inches deep, as well as moving back the snow piles along side the driveways. The blade also could be swung off to the side, still no sweat.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You should have no problem at all with a 6' blade. The tractor weight and traction affect how you will do with a 7 footer. For snow I wish I had wider, for everything else I'm happy with 6'. When you buy, get a blade that swings, tilts and rotates. You won't use the tilt much, but the swing allows you to push the snow well off the driveway.
Happy plowing!

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
What's the going recommendation for a 3pt rear blade width for a B2920? I'm guessing 5', but I don't know if it will still be wider than tire track width when angled. It'll be mainly used for snow. I would feel better with a larger blade, but I don't want to be constantly bogged down if I go with a 6' blade.
Bogging down won't be the issue, it will be traction.

You can't use the implement to add weight once its no longer in the air.( lots of people keep a heavy implement hanging on the back for loader work)

What tires do you have ?, chains ? ballast in tires or wheel weights?

on page 6 in your owners manual it reads 60" max for rear blade

Last edited:

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
HP isn't the problem; I didn't mean the tractor bogging down...I meant losing traction. I only have the FEL on it, no weights, no ballast. The tires are R4's without chains.

I'm glad to hear positives on the 29HP and 6' blade size for snow. I certainly wouldn't go any larger, but I'd really like the 6' over a 5' if I can get away with it.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I'm not familiar with your tractor model, but if you order chains from a catalog for your tires, specifically the front tires, be careful. They may drape well around and then tend to damage the boot at the tie rod end. I'd opt for getting the measurement to clear and then ask for the proper length of the cross chains to be sure. Another clearance to check is between rear tire and fender supports. On one tractor I had to reverse the mounting of the wheels.

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
You can't use the implement to add weight once its no longer in the air.( lots of people keep a heavy implement hanging on the back for loader work)

This has been a very perplexing issue for me. I would like to put a blade on the back, but I have 500 lbs in counter weight hanging on the 3 point.

tractor 4.jpg

So the question becomes how to get a blade on the back plus the plates you see in the picture.

kubotaguy

Dec 6, 2013
illinois
29 hp should easily handle a 6 foot blade. i used to have a 32 hp green tractor with turf tires and it handled a 6 foot blade and did not have traction problems with just the blade but I did have six 60 pound wheel weights. i bought a spray can of teflon lubricant for
$4 or $5 and every time I plow snow I give the blade another coat. I've used the same can for years. The teflon makes the snow glide off the blade really well and throws the snow a few feet. (my driveway is 1400 feet long)

I forgot to add, if you have a white rock driveway skid shoes are a must unless you want to lose all of your rocks

Last edited:

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
HP isn't the problem; I didn't mean the tractor bogging down...I meant losing traction. I only have the FEL on it, no weights, no ballast. The tires are R4's without chains.

I'm glad to hear positives on the 29HP and 6' blade size for snow. I certainly wouldn't go any larger, but I'd really like the 6' over a 5' if I can get away with it.
I have the same tractor but the 26hp . My tires are ballasted and a set of chains is sitting in the shop ready to go , when it snows i want to try it with just the bare r4's first.

This is my first winter with this tractor but even with the old b8200 2wd I only used the loader for snow removal.

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
This has been a very perplexing issue for me. I would like to put a blade on the back, but I have 500 lbs in counter weight hanging on the 3 point.

View attachment 9441

So the question becomes how to get a blade on the back plus the plates you see in the picture.
Thats the problem with that style of ballast and other than making some sort of bracket theres really no other option.
Filled tires and or wheel weights are the best option for ground engaging implements on the back. I have a concrete counterweight on a 3pt mount when all I want is ballast for the loader and my tires are also filled with beet juice.

cerlawson

Equipment
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I'd park those weights somewhere for the winter. If you really want them for weight, put them in the bucket and 4 x 4 will work better with balanced loading. When I needed some weight for the blade to dig in for earth grading then they were needed hung on the blade frame, but not for snow.

If you still want some weight near the rear wheels, get a quick hitch from Harbor Freight and rig them on that between the tractor and the QH. A little welding needed.

Whiskey Papa

Equipment
B2920
Sep 21, 2013
Illinois
I have the same tractor but the 26hp . My tires are ballasted and a set of chains is sitting in the shop ready to go , when it snows i want to try it with just the bare r4's first.

This is my first winter with this tractor but even with the old b8200 2wd I only used the loader for snow removal.
In the snow, my R4's have been working like a champ without chains.