Rear Axle Gear Sound..Is It Normal?

charlestark2359

Equipment
2016 Kubota B2650
Feb 5, 2023
Marlette, MI
Hello! I just installed the Axle Case on a B2650 Kubota Tractor with all it's interior components. I ended up reinstalling a new 57T gear inside as there was damage to it. Now that I have gotten all the parts inside the Axle Case (Right Hand Case), I began turning the axle now that it's on the tractor and it's making a strange knocking sound as it turns. I cannot tell if it's in the differential case or if the sound is coming from the axle case.

I have linked a video so you can hear the sound.

Thanks for your insight!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1vxtUDVE_MI

Charles

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wild guess #1
It 'might' be the diff-lock mechanism ??

BTW
Did you look at the gear the 'new 57t gear' mates with ?

charlestark2359

Equipment
2016 Kubota B2650
Feb 5, 2023
Marlette, MI
wild guess #1
It 'might' be the diff-lock mechanism ??

BTW
Did you look at the gear the 'new 57t gear' mates with ?

I did look at the gear it mates with. Seemed to look ok. I think I will just have to take it off the tractor again and inspect it.

I will look at the diff lock mechanism. Are you thinking that sound is not normal?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
That noise definitely isn’t right. Glad you figured out the replacement gear is smaller.

Wondering if the new 57 tooth gear is smaller in outside diameter (in which case, at a minimum, the teeth are a different pitch, big no no) or smaller it thickness, as in the gear can walk side to side of the shaft it rotates on?

charlestark2359

Equipment
2016 Kubota B2650
Feb 5, 2023
Marlette, MI
That noise definitely isn’t right. Glad you figured out the replacement gear is smaller.

Wondering if the new 57 tooth gear is smaller in outside diameter (in which case, at a minimum, the teeth are a different pitch, big no no) or smaller it thickness, as in the gear can walk side to side of the shaft it rotates on?

Not sure I understand exactly. But it's definately a bit smaller so the teeth have to travel more. Also the old one is pointier so it penetrates into the other gear with a softer touch. The shorter stub gear hits the second gear at a later point and has more of a harder touch as the angle is steeper. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you everyone! So thankful the ebay sell was willing to take it back even though he didn't have too. But now I am not sure how to find the correct one.