RCK-72 Mower Deck Problem

ahenthus

Equipment
B7610 ROPS, B2650 Cab
Mar 24, 2012
Upstate SC
I noticed my middle blade was not mowing. After trying to tighten the blade bolt several times on the tractor I decided I'd have to remove the deck. With the deck off and up on it's side I attempted to tighten it again. It just wont tighten enough to hold the blade. It turns freely even after being tightened with an impact wrench. The threads are fine and the proper washers are in place. The two outer blades function great. The gearbox must be okay because there is no noise or rattle coming from it and it turns the other two blades. The shaft and bolt turn with the other two blades but the middle blade floats like it's not properly tightened. I don't relish taking it to the dealer because it's in another town and loading it on my truck is quite a pain. Any suggestions?

ahenthus

Equipment
B7610 ROPS, B2650 Cab
Mar 24, 2012
Upstate SC
Replace the Belleville washers and turn your impact down a notch or two.
Thanks for the washer advice. I talked to the dealer and he suggested new cupped washers too. I switched the cup washers on one of the outer blades and it did the same thing. I think the cover that goes under the washers has been spinning. I'll buy some new washers and covers today. If that fails I'll shim the inside of the cover with a thin washer. I may have to fabricate the shim from some thin sheet metal. I'm not sure why you commented about the impact. The only reason I used it in the first place was to remove the bolt. All attempts at removing it manually were thwarted by the movement of the blades. On reattaching it I decided to give it a spin on with the impact but didn't force it, only enough to snug it. The blade still turned after snugging it and I didn't belabor the impact.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks for the washer advice. I talked to the dealer and he suggested new cupped washers too. I switched the cup washers on one of the outer blades and it did the same thing. I think the cover that goes under the washers has been spinning. I'll buy some new washers and covers today. If that fails I'll shim the inside of the cover with a thin washer. I may have to fabricate the shim from some thin sheet metal. I'm not sure why you commented about the impact. The only reason I used it in the first place was to remove the bolt. All attempts at removing it manually were thwarted by the movement of the blades. On reattaching it I decided to give it a spin on with the impact but didn't force it, only enough to snug it. The blade still turned after snugging it and I didn't belabor the impact.
Yep, forgot about that cup. Replace it too. I only mentioned the impact, as our guys at work will hammer on the bolts forever, and wonder why they are so hard to remove next time, or strip out.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
I would replace all the washers on all the blades while you're there. If you're in a pinch for now you can try with a hammer and maybe a piece of pipe with the old washers in a vice putting a little more cone shape into them to get you by until the new ones come