RC60-82H mower deck spindle feather key removal

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Kubota B8200 with rc60-82h mower deck
Sep 18, 2023
I need to replace bearings on the right spindle. I have the top nut, lock washer and regular washer removed but the pulley will not lift out as it is held in by a feather key. How do you remove this feather key?

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
In my line of work, bigger keys are drilled and tapped (prior to installation) and are removed using a bolt as a jack screw. Smaller ones are removed with a pair of side cutters.

I had to Google what a feather key was...never heard them called that in 35 years of machine repair.

FYI for the rest of the inquiring minds, a feather key is a square key with rounded ends that fits in a keyway machined into a shaft with an end mill ( a pocket ).

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Parts breakdown shows the spindle shaft coming out the bottom. Have you tried a puller on the pulley to remove from the shaft?
Screenshot 2023-09-19 151459.png

plumber mechanic

Equipment
Kubota B8200 with rc60-82h mower deck
Sep 18, 2023
Thanks for your response. The pulley will lift off the spindle but the feather key keeps holding it in place. The feather key is entered into the spindle and recessed into the pulley with only the very top exposed. Can't get on it with a side cutter or pry it out with a thin screwdriver. Any other suggestions? Attached below is a photo.

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks for your response. The pulley will lift off the spindle but the feather key keeps holding it in place. The feather key is entered into the spindle and recessed into the pulley with only the very top exposed. Can't get on it with a side cutter or pry it out with a thin screwdriver. Any other suggestions? Attached below is a photo.
The pulley will come completely off of the spindle?

Remove grease fitting and get a puller on that pulley. Key should slide off of shaft. Probably has a microscopic speck of rust holding it together.