RC60-72 Tension Arm Spindle

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
I've been checking all the bearings, bushings, etc., on my RC60-72 mower deck and noticed that the tension pulley was off line a bit. Upon removing the arm, it was obvious that the spindle welded into the deck was worn to the point where it should be replaced. Has anyone removed this before? It appears that it has been assembled from the bottom and welded in place on the bottom. I'm not going to try to save it, just make a new one to weld back in.

Here are a couple pictures. One from top and one from where I've ground the weld off so far.

thanks

Attachments

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
Lots of views, but no comments! Guess I'll have to reply to my own post. For those that may end up doing what I'm doing, maybe this will help.
Took a 1.375" hole saw and cut the weld out. Spindle dropped out fairly easily. Put on lathe and thought maybe I'd just cut down to eliminate wear, then heat fit a bushing over it. Decided that's too much work, so I just made a new spindle. Still in process of cutting threads, so when it's all completed, and welded back in place, I'll post the final picture.

Attachments

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hi
Like your approach to repairing this mower deck tension arm. Cutting out the shaft with a hole saw is a radical but admirable approach.

I restored my deck recently and did not have your problem but am interested in your solution. I did have to weld and "re-turn" other parts.

Is the arm rotated on bushes or bearings. Dimensions will be metric. You can fill in the worn parts with weld and re-turn on lathe or, machine a new shaft. The weld solution means you wont have to cut new threads.

Please keep us informed

Cheers.

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
I'm not sure if the tension arm is original or replaced. The end of the spindle was threaded for a zerk, but it was missing. Apparently not greased for a while either. I bored out the tension arm to remove any grooves, etc., then made a new spindle to fit. I still need to cut a slight groove near the center grease hole to allow grease to enter. It's a pretty close fit, and takes some pressure to get grease in. Once completed, I'll stick it back in the deck and weld in place. Here is a picture of the new spindle before I cut the recess for grease.

Also, I went with a course thread (not metric).

Attachments

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Very nice work.

My lathe is an imperial lathe and it is all set up for imperial threads, I can cut metric threads but have to change a bunch of gears which is a pain.

Keep up the good work.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yup give a man a few tools he knows how to use and he can do almost anything,, A nice job!