RC54-G20 assist springs

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Hi guys,

Somewhere on this list, I saw a posting stating that the RC decks (54 and 60, if not others) were 'suspended' decks. I was puzzled by this, because I could see nothing on my RC54-G20 deck (SN# 20487) that suspended it. The G1800S tractor it is on is an early build (October, 1989) My deck looks like it was made to roll along the ground. So, I found an original Operator's Manual for this deck, and sure enough, it's showing assist springs, how they're mounted, and how to adjust them for different cut heights. Interestingly, there's a disclaimer in the Forward of the Manual:

"As KUBOTA is constantly seeking ways to improve its products, the rotary mower which you have purchased may differ slightly from the specifications in this manual."

Here's a snip from the Parts List for this deck:
1664029257726.jpeg

The U-shaped brackets near the top of the drawing are to be bolted to the tractor's frame members. The brackets circled in red are not on my deck. Looks like they should be welded to the deck shell, near the back edge of it.

I wonder if assist springs were a upgrade introduced on decks that were manufactured later than mine.

So, what's your opinion on the worth of these assist springs? Do they substantially improve the performance of the deck?

I looked up a few of the part numbers, and to me, it's cost-prohibitive to think about gathering up all these parts from a dealer. The springs alone list at $116 each! The "stays" (parts 010 and 020) are $48 each. The levers (100 and 100) are $59 each. $560 total for all the non-standard parts. Yeesh. Besides, I'd have to fabricate the welded-on brackets from scratch.

To me, at this point, this is another feature that's something to look out for on potential parts machines. [I just placed a Wanted ad in the Lancaster Farming weekly for G1800 or G1900 parts. "What have you?"] Presuming that someday I'll be looking for a new mower shell, it's not too soon to start looking for a good one to squirrel away...

Still, interested in your opinion on this. I haven't used this deck enough yet to consider how its performance could be improved by assist springs.

-Paul

Last edited: