R 4's on the B

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Anybody and I mean anybody. The book calls for 40pis in these thing, and I found out they are a bloody skid steer tire, find for solid ground but pretty much useless on wet grass and mud. SO the question is what is anyone else keeping them pumped to, I figure knocking the tire pressure down to say 20 they would work ok, but I also dont want the darn things rolling off the rim on a hill,, Anybody have any input?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I run 12-14 psi in my rear tires, and almost max (around 30 psi?) in the front. Always have.

I do lots of loader work.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Anybody and I mean anybody. The book calls for 40pis in these thing, and I found out they are a bloody skid steer tire, find for solid ground but pretty much useless on wet grass and mud. SO the question is what is anyone else keeping them pumped to, I figure knocking the tire pressure down to say 20 they would work ok, but I also dont want the darn things rolling off the rim on a hill,, Anybody have any input?
I have a B and R4s that are ballasted and a ballast box on the back. I have driven it through mud plenty of times including a regular crossing of stream/ditch…when it leaves really bad ruts it is too soggy to be out IMO…I have made some epic messes and it seems to drive through….I haves dragged the MMM plenty times raised but it drives through (there are different types of mud, my experience with the tractor is in NE Ohio clay/gooey mud) whatever that is worth. The only time I have been stuck I did not realize it was in 2WD. I used the loader to claw more than 50yds before I realized I was not in 4WD. After I put in 4WD it drove itself out. I keep the tires at the load rating. I am not sure that the tire pressure would make much of a difference In That type of tire in that machine. I think in general before you get to point where tire pressure is an issue maybe question is it too wet for tractor. I can also say I would not be taking my ORV through the same mud hoping not to need the winch. If tire pressure is really the limiting factor you need a different tire or should let it dry out a little. If you are not sure I’d leave the loader on or Bh if you have one. They can help you claw out. I am not sure they are intended for that but I thought my spousal unit would take suggestion wrong way for her to push or dig while I spin the tires, so I use the ‘claw feature’. I have a hilly property and I would also say R4s on that machine are not a good idea on muddy inclines…take that for what it’s worth 🥃

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I employ the "circumcision paradigm" in such circumstances. Simply stated - you can take 20% off of anything and it will still work fine. Try reducing your pressure by 20%. See if that helps. Good luck.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
On my B2910 with 12.4-16 tires I run around 12 PSI on my rear R4 tires. BUT they are 75 percent filled with liquid. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but at least it is a data point.

Edit: This reminds me I should check tire pressure on the B2910. Have not done it in a couple years. Last time was when I notices more squat than usual on the rear of the tractor...don't remember what the pressure was then, but there was no issue with the tires coming off the rims at that point.

2nd Edit: Yes, R4 tires suck when it is wet or muddy. I ran chains year round for over fifteen years for this reason. Finally got tired of the chains hitting the fenders if something caused them to shift ever so slightly. One trip down a wet grassy slope with the R4 tires makes one want to put chains on for sure. Without chains I am REALLY aware about slippery slopes when there is ANY wetness out there...now considering wheel spacers and euro style chains, which work better with R4 tires than ladder chains do.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I know they will spin on wet grass, the BX with the OLD R4's never had a problem. And the fact some azzhat in cooperate though it was a good idea to use a skid steer tire on a small tractor is beyond me.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Well I know they will spin on wet grass, the BX with the OLD R4's never had a problem. And the fact some azzhat in cooperate though it was a good idea to use a skid steer tire on a small tractor is beyond me.
R1s provide more traction in mud, but will also cut trenches, leaving a mess behind. I have decided that if I’m tearing things up; it’s too wet to be out with the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Was that the only tire option you had when you purchased the tractor?

Way back when I could choose between R1, R3 and R4 tires. I elected the R4. All in all, I guess I am satisfied with the R4s...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I got the R4s because I have them on the BX and they are bullet proof,,

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Skeets do you know what the ply rating is on your Bs R4 tires?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Side wall has 6 on it so I have presume it is 6 ply, and states 40 psi,, so I dont know the dealer told me they were skid steer tires

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Side wall has 6 on it so I have presume it is 6 ply, and states 40 psi,, so I dont know the dealer told me they were skid steer tires
I was just wondering my new B2601 has the R14s on it I wanted the R4s but they didn't have any the R14s are also 6ply. I'm probably going to try to trade someone for the R4s or get my dealer to order me a complete set through whole goods and then sell my R14s.

My SSV75 skid steer tires are all 10ply rated. I run them at 65lbs. per the sidewall roll mark.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was just wondering my new B2601 has the R14s on it I wanted the R4s but they didn't have any the R14s are also 6ply. I'm probably going to try to trade someone for the R4s or get my dealer to order me a complete set through whole goods and then sell my R14s.

My SSV75 skid steer tires are all 10ply rated. I run them at 65lbs. per the sidewall roll mark.
A skid steer is different than a tractor. Is there a reason you do not like the R14 tires?

My guess is that for tractor work, R14 tires might be better than R4 tires. Maybe not though if you are on the pavement most of the time...