Quick change snowblower skids?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Anyone ever devise a “quick change” snowblower skid shoe?
I know 2wrenches and 4 nuts n bolts but there must be an inventor out there that has done something? Seems like there should be a “kit” to convert bolt-on skids to “quick change” like on our deck mower wheels or our plow blades that can be raised or lowered in seconds…
I will have to stop and change my skid shoe height mid-event while blowing because of my recycled asphalt…the other half is paved.

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I could've used some kind of large swivel wheel last week (instead of skids)........4-5" of heavy wet sticky snow and ground NOT frozen.
I blew enough gravel to make a small driveway.

I am a newbie at the whole tractor snowblower thing (been pushing a blower 40 yrs though) and wasn't initially aware I was digging up gravel every time I turned. If I had kept in a straight line I would've been mostly good.

Reactions: 1 user

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Anyone ever devise a “quick change” snowblower skid shoe?
I know 2wrenches and 4 nuts n bolts but there must be an inventor out there that has done something? Seems like there should be a “kit” to convert bolt-on skids to “quick change” like on our deck mower wheels or our plow blades that can be raised or lowered in seconds…
I will have to stop and change my skid shoe height mid-event while blowing because of my recycled asphalt…the other half is paved.
Have yet to use my new to me but used Allied 60" snowblower...so we'll see how my skid shoes work after I bolted UHMW plastic runners on the bottom of them to help slide along vs digging into soft snow/dirt.

For the "Quick Change" conversion of your skid shoes, I would use these T-Handle Quick Release Pins and weldable shaft collars from McMaster-Carr.

Weld the shaft collars on the sides of the Skid Shoes and on the inside of the snowblower housing at the height adjustment holes (just use a standard bolt of the same diameter to hold both collars in alignment while welding)
When you need to adjust, you just pull the pin, move/adjust the skid shoe and push the pin back in place...easy-peasy!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Have yet to use my new to me but used Allied 60" snowblower...so we'll see how my skid shoes work after I bolted UHMW plastic runners on the bottom of them to help slide along vs digging into soft snow/dirt.

For the "Quick Change" conversion of your skid shoes, I would use these T-Handle Quick Release Pins and weldable shaft collars from McMaster-Carr.

Weld the shaft collars on the sides of the Skid Shoes and on the inside of the snowblower housing at the height adjustment holes (just use a standard bolt of the same diameter to hold both collars in alignment while welding)
When you need to adjust, you just pull the pin, move/adjust the skid shoe and push the pin back in place...easy-peasy!
Looks like a solution…I’ll have to learn how to weld!🤣

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire

Seems like a good solution…I don’t weld but

So you would need 6 sets of collars on each side to accommodate the 3 height settings? Seems like a lot of hardware…I think a simpler way would be to make it like plow shoes…pull a pin and add or remove washers to set height. Still would need to weld a shaft onto the shoe and a bushing/ring to the side of the blower.

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Sorry about the links not working...

Maybe you have a friend/neighbor/family member that can weld...amazing how much work you can get out of somebody for a case of good beer!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Sorry about the links not working...

Maybe you have a friend/neighbor/family member that can weld...amazing how much work you can get out of somebody for a case of good beer!
I can’t visualize the setup your talking about with the collars and pins. I understand the concept but my thinking of it uses too much hardware. I’ll have to draw something out on paper to figure it out.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not sure if any help, but this is the second mod I did to my shoes. I'm sure yours has a much different style skid shoe.

They've been through a lot of snow last few years, and are holding up just fine. Honestly, much better than I expected.....

I got a backblade this year. Intention is I'll blow off all but the 1.0"+ the blower leaves, then scrape rest off with blade into windrow. Blow windrow away...

Since my driveway is all stone, I don't want it bare. Lowest I go is ~1/2" when it has a good frozen base.

Last edited:

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Not sure if any help, but this is the second mod I did to my shoes. I'm sure yours has a much different style skid shoe.

They've been through a lot of snow last few years, and are holding up just fine. Honestly, much better than I expected.....

I got a backblade this year. Intention is I'll blow off all but the 1.0"+ the blower leaves, then scrape rest off with blade into windrow. Blow windrow away...

Since my driveway is all stone, I don't want it bare. Lowest I go is ~1/2" when it has a good frozen base.
Some good ideas in that old thread!
Love the gauge wheels! Also the trailer tongue jacks sounded interesting!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:
I blew enough gravel to make a small driveway.

sounds like you've got next summer's project already on the books !!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Decided the easiest and cheapest solution is to by a Harbor Freight electric 3/8” ratchet and carry a box wrench with me…blow the pavement, hop off, then adjust the skids down for the recycled asphalt part. Easy peasy. 😂
Have been looking at adjustable shoes like on a plow but still the same amount of time to do a couple bolts on each side. Harbor a freight, here I come!