Questions/ Advice

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
New to forum and new BX 1880 owner. I use Spectro platinum full synthetic or Red Line full synthetic in my Harley motorcycle. Both are high quality oils.I noticed they both make oil products for diesel engines. Anybody use either in their tractor? I also saw Amsoil makes full synthetic hydrostatic transmission oil. Anyone use it ? I researched the oil from Red Line and Spectro, l called and spoke to both companies and got their specifications to compare years ago. Been using both brands for a long time. Thoughts, input ? I always believed in using higher quality oils and lubricants.

ahf-qt.jpg

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
New to forum and new BX 1880 owner. I use Spectro platinum full synthetic or Red Line full synthetic in my Harley motorcycle. Both are high quality oils.I noticed they both make oil products for diesel engines. Anybody use either in their tractor? I also saw Amsoil makes full synthetic hydrostatic transmission oil. Anyone use it ? I researched the oil from Red Line and Spectro, l called and spoke to both companies and got their specifications to compare years ago. Been using both brands for a long time. Thoughts, input ? I always believed in using higher quality oils and lubricants.

View attachment 82866
Forget even thinking about using Amzoil in your Kubota hydrostatic transmission!
Kubota has THEIR transmission oil specifically formulated to meet their transmission oil specs.
It is called SUDT-2, and is the ONLY oil you should use in Kubota hydrostatic transmissions!
Amzoil is absolutely superb at MARKETING ......... various flavors of snake oil!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

View attachment 82866
Kubota is pretty clear on engine oil. SAE 10W30 or 15W40 and API CK4. Although its not recommended by Kubota many owners like a grade 5W40. Lots of quality products to choose from in that space.

Kubota hydrostatic transmission oil is a different matter. Their oil is a 5w20 formulation with exceptional water tolerance. Very few equivalent oils and Amsoil is not one of them. Low viscosity JD Hygard (J20D) and CNH Ultraction SSL are close but cost the same or more than SUDT2 so there is little reason to use them over the OEM oil.

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As the guys said, stick with SUDT2 in your transmission. You don't want to chance ruining it with the wrong lubricant. Several diesel rated oils are acceptable for the engine. Many of the guys use Shell Rotella T6 in their engines though I believe it may be in short supply at the moment. I get my filters at the Kubota dealer. For the difference in price I won't bother with substitutes.

Reactions: 1 user

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
Thank you guys. Exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I bought Kubota Super UDI2 the latest stuff directly from my Kubota dealer to have it on hand. I also purchased the official Kubota factory replacement filters too. I did buy Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic diesel, 15w-40 weight oil for the motor. For a machine that cost what this one does, I want to use the best oils and lubricants possibly. Thank you again.

Reactions: 1 users